News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

I can't center the header logo

Started by Klaus73, July 23, 2018, 04:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SychO

Quote from: Kindred on July 24, 2018, 02:35:22 PM
WQell, yes, IMO, it DOES matter, since randomly hacking code like that almost always gets you into trouble later.
Doing it right, the first time, is the netter option rather than doing it hackish to just make it look right, while the code behind it is a mess.

I agree editing the existing rules would be cleaner, but I thought OP could get lost so having him add new code would be easier
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Kindred on July 24, 2018, 02:35:22 PM
Quote from: SychO on July 24, 2018, 01:53:30 PM
Quote from: Kindred on July 24, 2018, 01:27:36 PM
but, as noted, that is a hack that does not take into account the actual containers.

Doesn't matter, it works, this is what was requested, there's no reason not to go with it
WQell, yes, IMO, it DOES matter, since randomly hacking code like that almost always gets you into trouble later.
Doing it right, the first time, is the netter option rather than doing it hackish to just make it look right, while the code behind it is a mess.
If you think "hacking code" is changing how css works, then something is wrong with your definition. And yes, editing the selectors would be cleaner, but wouldn't change the result.

If we want to "make it right" in this case it means rewriting the entire thing, and the OP hasn't requested that we fix the header, nor is it necessary.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Kindred

well, we have a difference of opinion on what is "appropriate" :P
I usually find it appropriate to give a user clean code.

(and I think that the header looks fine as long as you don't try to do something that it's not intended to do. It is cleanly coded and does exactly what it was designed to do.  Changing that behavior/look would be simpler in a theme that was designed to have the header logo in a different location, as I said before. :P )
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

If you think the default header is "cleanly coded", then I don't know why you are complaining that you think removing the existing floats is "a hack".

Changing the behavior would be easier in a theme that was written better. And your initial response was that "you can't do it", which is just plain wrong.

I don't know why I'm even trying to discuss css with you. What happened to the motto of "posting wrong information is worse than none"?

Illori

if we have solved the users issue, can we move this side discussion elsewhere?

skb

Quote from: Illori on July 24, 2018, 03:15:30 PM
if we have solved the users issue, can we move this side discussion elsewhere?

1 Like

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Gwenwyfar

Advertisement: