News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Special Characters when changing PHP version

Started by Veee, July 30, 2018, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Veee

Hello,
today I went to switch the php version of my forum from 5.6 to 7.2 and what happened was that a lot of weird characters showed up in the words with special characters.

My forum messages are set to ISO-8859-1. I tried before to convert them to utf-8 and it just never worked out, it messed my whole forum.

It's recommended to use php 7.x... is there a way around this keeping words the way they are supposed to look like?

Thanks in advance!

Arantor

Go back to 5.6, back up through your host (not SMF admin), convert to UTF-8, go to PHP 7.0 or 7.1 (7.2 is not supported at this time)

Veee

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

I went back to 5.6 and it still shows the weird characters....

I attempted to convert to utf-8 last year I believe and it didn't work. It showed the same that's happening now with the change to php 7. Shall I try to convert again now? Or will it show the same results? I think it's to do with the database which is set to utf-8 and the messages are in ISO-8859-1. :/ It's all very confusing to me.

Veee

Can anyone help? I have talked to my host but they don't know what to do...

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: