what is wrong with this plan? IRT Migration

Started by drewactual, August 02, 2018, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewactual

So the host I've rented dedicated rack space from for more than ten years was purchased by another, and I was set to migrate to the new digs, residing in their Que for the last six months or so...

I got a message on Friday that they 'can't' migrate my account for whatever reason to the new platform, and that I would have until Monday to do so myself until it goes offline..

I purchased a new plan from a new host, also dedicated and w/full access, and began moving...

The 'old' location still holds the URL, as I haven't changed the DNS yet... the 'new' site is configured to look for the IP right now... I will change that at the last minute.....

that's the backstory^ here is the question:

What would be wrong with changing the 'old' server to point to the 'new' server's DB, and then force a redirect in the 'old's' htaccess to force to the new site- and then have the 'new' site pointing to the same DB, after changing the pointers to a URL instead of the IP?  The sites are duplicate as it is, and even the server settings as very close to duplicate... at face value it seems like it will work? this is in effort to reduce 'down time'....

the alternative (option #2) is to place the 'old' site in maintenance mode and leave the 'new' site open.... meaning as the domain propagates throughout the web users will either encounter the 'maintenance mode' message or an open forum....

which is better?  is there a glaring problem with my 'plan' or should i just go with option #2? 

would appreciate your advice!

thanks in advance

vbgamer45

I would lower the TTL on your dns settings to an hour or so normal default is one day. That will get users on the new ip faster. When you make the change.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

drewactual

Advertisement: