News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

support PHP Version 7.2.7

Started by dimsarostov, August 03, 2018, 02:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimsarostov

Hi people!
SMF 2.1.x supported the PHP Version 7.2.7 ?

Arantor

Arantor

No, mostly because I'm not really working on SMF 2.1.

The main issues that 7.2 raised that broke a lot of SMF 2.0, however, I *know* those have been fixed.

d3vcho

Not sure if I tried it with PHP 7.2.6 or 7.2.7 but definitely it works.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Arantor

And if it doesn't work in some way, that's a bug and should be reported.

Chen Zhen

I currently use PHP 7.2.8 and have had no issues.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Kindred

and you have self-modified the forum to make it work....

And possibly missed something...

Either way - when the official support for 7.2 comes out (if it does) thn you will have to undo all of your self-made changes.

Once again. SMF 2.0.x does not support php 7.2 (and there is no reason that any reasonable host would force you to run 7.2
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

This is the 2.1 board... one presumes we were all discussing 2.1 which should be ok on 7.2...

Kindred

whoops...  right.

I know that Chen Zen was trying to modify 2.0 to allow php 7.2 as well and got confused
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chen Zhen

Yes that was concerning SMF 2.1.

Concerning SMF 2.0 I made a mod that provides all the changes which should only involve uninstalling that modification when/if the SMF 2.0 branch is updated concerning deprecated syntax.
People are not forced to upgrade to PHP 7.2 at this time but they like to have a choice for various reasons.

Quote from: Kindred on August 04, 2018, 03:46:33 PM
and you have self-modified the forum to make it work....

And possibly missed something...

Either way - when the official support for 7.2 comes out (if it does) thn you will have to undo all of your self-made changes.

Once again. SMF 2.0.x does not support php 7.2 (and there is no reason that any reasonable host would force you to run 7.2

Perhaps I can respond to that above statement in kind.

I could explain further but if you can not fathom reasons for using it on your own then I see no point.
BTW - I missed nothing but apparently you did.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

vivien

Note: Ubuntu server 18.04 only supports PHP 7.2 and more and more hosts migrate to this version.

albertlast

i already got a php 7.3 RC4 env running and
notice no error in smf 2.1 gh version.

SpacePhoenix

Both versions 5.6 and 7.0 of PHP go EOL by the end of the year, once that happens some hosts might move all their servers over to 7.1 or 7.2

live627

Concerning SMF 2.0 I made a mod that provides all the changes
It's over 9000!!! :P

That mod seems to me very brittle due to the amount of edits it makes.

Chen Zhen

Quote from: live627 on November 08, 2018, 03:01:45 PM
It's over 9000!!! :P

That mod seems to me very brittle due to the amount of edits it makes.

That's highly over exaggerated and Imo very internet troll like in nature.
Perhaps some peer`s bad habits are rubbing off.

Also (unrelated to the above) maybe someone can delete the post from the spam lecher.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Irisado

The spam post has been removed, but please use the report to moderator button next time to ensure a faster response.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Arantor

I'm not sure I'd disagree on brittle, because there's only three ways to do it: do a find/replace on each standard code using package manager (relies on no changes, misses non stock codes), do a find/replace on just the syntax (way more fragile, can still miss some), or write something insanely clever to do the conversion on Subs.php to pick up every code and every mod in the file.

That last one isn't entirely impossible but it does rely on detecting implicit conditional compilation but some clever calls to get_tokens() to get the syntax as PHP itself sees it would solve that. It also breaks uninstalling any of the mods while it's at it (though so do the others)

Honestly, while I applaud the effort that's gone into trying to prolong the life of a 7 year old system, maybe that energy would have been better spent on getting 2.1 out that already has this future proofed.

SD-X

Quote from: albertlast on November 08, 2018, 01:10:48 PM
i already got a php 7.3 RC4 env running and
notice no error in smf 2.1 gh version.
Same here with PHP 7.2.8.

vivien

Yesterday the PHP team released PHP 7.3.0 for general availability (GA) and marked the third feature update to PHP 7.

Changelog : http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-7.php#7.3.0 [nofollow]

PHP 5.6.39 and PHP 7.0.33 are both security releases considered to be the last release in their respective branches. You should view these versions as the final releases.

Advertisement: