News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

support PHP Version 7.2.7

Started by dimsarostov, August 03, 2018, 02:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

Quote from: vivien on December 07, 2018, 08:52:03 AM
Yesterday the PHP team released PHP 7.3.0 for general availability (GA) and marked the third feature update to PHP 7.
very nice

Arantor

Unfortunately over here in the real world, neither apps nor hosts keep up with PHP releases as fast as PHP out them out.

Gwenwyfar

If there's anything good the culture of "maniacally being up to date with everything" brought, it's at least a reduced wait period for new things.

Then instead of "horray! new feature in N! *sets reminder to use it in 10 years*" it's more like "horray! new feature in N! *sets reminder to use it in 5 years*"
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

I've never been fond of "move fast and break things", a lesson that the npm world hasn't learned yet but that thankfully enough Composer contributors have.

Gwenwyfar

Me neither.

Maybe soon enough more people will learn the lesson (or burn themselves out enough, as already happens to so many) that things go back to a sane pace. Things that don't work can't last long. The sad part is the amount of people who see it as a "good thing".
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

SD-X

Well, personally I fear updating things such as PHP and MySQL because of that same chance of things breaking, (which is all too common with both of those products). In fact, the only thing stopping me from updating to anything higher than PHP 7.2.8 right now is the fact that they reverted everything allowing the use of "caching_sha2_password" from MySQL 8+ in PHP 7.2.9 and higher.

Security is important to me, so I'm stuck in a loop of trying to decide whether I should upgrade PHP and lower the encryption on my MySQL passwords to secure PHP further, or hold off and leave PHP at risk so MySQL remains more secure. (Not that it matters anyway. The right type of security exploit in either can probably result in the other being breached, but hey...that's life).

Too bad they don't offer updates to their products like SMF does. *Wink wink*.

As for the actual topic, has anyone tested PHP 7.3.0 with SMF 2.1.x yet?

Kindred

It will break even more things than 7.2 does
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

albertlast

Quote from: albertlast on November 08, 2018, 01:10:48 PM
i already got a php 7.3 RC4 env running and
notice no error in smf 2.1 gh version.

--> 2.1 is fine with php 7.3

Advertisement: