News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Re: SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by DragonLady, August 02, 2018, 04:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonLady

I've downloaded this and installed in a sandbox file.  So far, I love it, but I'd like to see a counterpart to the "core" theme, with the tabbed  menu and scrolling news fader.  Any plans for those to be included?

Arantor

No, and no. Both were removed years ago from what is the 2.1 'core theme'.

DragonLady

Quote from: Arantor on August 02, 2018, 04:57:05 PM
No, and no. Both were removed years ago from what is the 2.1 'core theme'.

Yeah; I know. I still use them (are they part of curves now? I don't recall), and when I took them down for a while several of my members asked them for them back.  I love almost everything about this new upgrade, but would like to have an option that looks more like what I have in use now.  It just looks classier, IMO, with the higher contrast and more complicated gradient bars.

Arantor

Honestly, I doubt they will be returned. They've been gone for 5 years now...

DragonLady

Quote from: Arantor on August 02, 2018, 05:13:13 PM
Honestly, I doubt they will be returned. They've been gone for 5 years now...

:( Darn. Okay. :(  Thanks for your quick responses. :)

Kindred

core theme wpould be almost impossible to make responsive... it would have to be recoded from the ground up and, honestly that table layout is decades old at this point.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: DragonLady on August 02, 2018, 04:55:15 PM
I've downloaded this and installed in a sandbox file.  So far, I love it, but I'd like to see a counterpart to the "core" theme, with the tabbed  menu and scrolling news fader.  Any plans for those to be included?
I plan to make a 2.1 responsive core theme, as well as a 2.0 one, but it's very unlikely it will be included in 2.1, and I won't work on it until after 2.1 is complete from the frond end side.

Quote from: Kindred on August 02, 2018, 06:09:22 PM
core theme wpould be almost impossible to make responsive... it would have to be recoded from the ground up and, honestly that table layout is decades old at this point.
Core is not that different from 2.0 curve.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

Gwenwyfar

Unless the core in this site has been modified, I don't see much more tables than in curve.

DragonLady

???

AFAICT, they both work just fine on 2.015; as I have them both installed.

DragonLady

Another little nitpick:  When I'm writing posts, I like to be able to select words or blocks of text, then hit the buttons to wrap the codes around them for bold, colors, quotes, etc.  But that doesn't work in the new version. :(

Kindred

Well, yes and no...   the core theme in 2.0 is a mess of code and it most certainly is not responsive.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

@Gwenwyfar - seems my memory deceives me, Core does have more tables than Curve but not as many as I remember it having - the board index is still a table.

@DragonLady, no-one is disputing that the themes work on 2.0, this is about modernising "Core" for 2.1 to work with Curve since the new theme changed an awful lot of things. Also regarding the editor, it works as expected for me - are you really using Beta 3 which is a year old, or current version from GitHub? In WYSIWYG mode or not?

DragonLady

Quote@DragonLady, no-one is disputing that the themes work on 2.0, this is about modernising "Core" for 2.1 to work with Curve since the new theme changed an awful lot of things. Also regarding the editor, it works as expected for me - are you really using Beta 3 which is a year old, or current version from GitHub? In WYSIWYG mode or not?

I don't recall if I went to GitHub or not.  It says "2.1 Beta 3", if that helps.  I usually disable wysiwyg because my members have trouble with it, but when it's on it does wrap the quotes around the text. 

Arantor

If it says beta 3, you have a version that's about a year behind the current development progress build...

Gwenwyfar

Quote@Gwenwyfar - seems my memory deceives me, Core does have more tables than Curve but not as many as I remember it having - the board index is still a table.
Indeed, but so is curve. All the most important content bits are still using proper markup somewhat, I don't see it being that different to make responsive than curve is, at least not in all the main user pages. I actually got hired once to make a site responsive, and was not allowed to touch any html (because it was "being rebuilt from scratch" and they didn't want any changes in the old one). It hardly had classes and plenty tables everywhere. This is actually pretty smooth by comparison, you can use proper selectors instead of a-mile-long ones and all that :laugh:

For porting it to 2.1 it would be more sane to make a sort of Core2, and for that few html edits are needed.

Arantor

At least in Curve most of the things that are tables are reasonably justified in being tables - Core seems to have a few holdovers.

Thing about making Curve2 responsive is that it took a scary amount of work to actually do - but the upshot is that in theory at least making Core2 out of Curve2 should be easier than it was going the other way.

DragonLady

Quote from: DragonLady on August 03, 2018, 08:58:15 AM
Quote@DragonLady, no-one is disputing that the themes work on 2.0, this is about modernising "Core" for 2.1 to work with Curve since the new theme changed an awful lot of things. Also regarding the editor, it works as expected for me - are you really using Beta 3 which is a year old, or current version from GitHub? In WYSIWYG mode or not?

I don't recall if I went to GitHub or not.  It says "2.1 Beta 3", if that helps.  I usually disable wysiwyg because my members have trouble with it, but when it's on it does wrap the quotes around the text. 

'kay.  Do you have a link to the latest version?

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on August 03, 2018, 09:28:10 AM
At least in Curve most of the things that are tables are reasonably justified in being tables - Core seems to have a few holdovers.

Thing about making Curve2 responsive is that it took a scary amount of work to actually do - but the upshot is that in theory at least making Core2 out of Curve2 should be easier than it was going the other way.
Since you can change how tables display, and they're only in some of the content (if we had a full table layout that'd be really painful to attempt), it's not a big deal either way. Though ideally you'd rewrite them, you can work around some of them just fine.

Specially for something as big as SMF, it does take a lot of work and a lot of testing. And curve2 still has much to go.

Yep - It's as it goes with theming, you have one good base and any further changes are the easy part. Core could have been the same, there's no need to have two completely different templates when they still show the same content mostly the same way. That's what I may do for a responsive 2.0 core actually, since then you only need to make curve responsive, instead of making both core and curve.

Advertisement: