News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Broke my forum trying to upgrade

Started by stonysleep, August 04, 2018, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonysleep

I completely forgot how to update smf and in trying to do it wrong think i might have broken it
I have smf 2.0.9 and downloaded the large upgrade file from https://download.simplemachines.org/
I then copied all the files i the zip into my folder by ftp
I then remembered that smf does it through the admin pane and now the forum doesnt load as it now has 2.0.15 files in a 2.0.9 installation and hasnt run the update.
So, wondering what the best way to fix this is

Thanks

Arantor

d3vcho

Do you have a backup of your forum? If you do, restore it and download and install each patch from 2.0.10 to 2.0.15
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

stonysleep

unfortunately not - the last backup i have is from 4 years ago unless i happen to have one somewhere
my forum is the standard one - no mods from what i can remember - is there some way of getting the files for version 2.0.9 as a download?

Arantor

Depending on how it broke, putting the 2.0.9 files back may not help you.

So, you uploaded the files, what happened then?

stonysleep

Thats what i did - uploaded every file that was in the zip file replacing the files on the server with those in the zip file

vbgamer45

What error did you get? How did your forum break?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

stonysleep

error 500 this page isnt working unable to handle request

vbgamer45

What PHP version is your site running on? If it's 5.3 or less you need to run SMF 2.0.13 or upgrade your PHP to 5.4 or higher
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

stonysleep

I've got php 7.0.25 so i think that's ok
The problem is that i overwrote the files rather than running the update through the admin panel.
Am thinking am going to have to backup the database and install from scratch which seems a bit excessive and would've thought it should be possible to get the files i need and replace them

Illori

have you confirmed with a phpinfo file that you are actually running php 7.0.25?

stonysleep

I got the version number from cpanel so pretty sure it is

Illori

stonysleep

I can't do that at the moment but for the moment can we assume i have a high enough version of php

Arantor

No, actually, we can't because that's almost certainly what actually broke your forum.

vbgamer45

Make a php script and enter the following and run to your main directory and run it via the browser

<?php
phpinfo
();

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Illori

Quote from: vbgamer45 on August 04, 2018, 01:04:07 PM
Make a php script and enter the following and run to your main directory and run it via the browser

<?php
phpinfo
();

that is what is in the link i provided.

stonysleep

ok am back now and you were right im on php 5.2.17
so does that mean i need 2.0.13 - and whats the best suggestion to fix it?

Arantor

Get the host to update to at least PHP 5.4, or better 5.6. Then the forum should just start working.

stonysleep

they're going to upgrade it to php 7 - i think it must be in progress as the error message now doesnt give error 500 cant establish connection but is now saying:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in index.php on line 114
phpinfo is still saying 5.2.17
When php is upgraded based on what ive done should it start working then?

Arantor

Sounds to me like it's the same situation as before, because that parse error would be a 500 type error - just you're not seeing the browser cover page hiding it for you.

Once the upgrade is done, the forum should just start working normally, like I said.

Sir Osis of Liver

Yes, if the upgrade was done correctly, forum will work as soon as php is upgraded to 5.4 or higher.  You really have a crappy host, php 5.2 went eol in Jan 2011 and has been unsupported since then.  Not nice that they're showing you a bogus version.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lurkalot

Quote from: stonysleep on August 04, 2018, 07:11:48 PM
they're going to upgrade it to php 7 - i think it must be in progress as the error message now doesnt give error 500 cant establish connection but is now saying:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in index.php on line 114
phpinfo is still saying 5.2.17
When php is upgraded based on what ive done should it start working then?

If it was in progress it seems to be taking a while, it's still showing,

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ')' in /home4/stonysle/public_html/forum/index.php on line 114

stonysleep

Finally managed to fix it so thanks all
Turned out it was .htaccess files overriding the php version to use
Changing it with cpanel worked but the new line it generated in the htaccess files was being overwritten by another line to use the old php version
Looks like i need to fix up all my htaccess files
But the good news is it looks like my php version and smf are now right now so thanks again

Advertisement: