News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mobile users

Started by melanie1986, August 10, 2018, 01:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melanie1986

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of comments lately that people would love to join my site but since so many nowadays prefer to use their phones etc (I don't know why) they tell me that going on the site with their mobile devices and navigating it was a virtual nightmare. This I've noticed new members signing up, but never returning lately since Tapatalk now longer supports their app. Is there a good set for us, or an app members can use to properly view the forum and use it from their phones?

Biology Forums

How are you HTML and CSS skills? Perhaps it's time to download a responsive theme and begin modifying it how your forum currently looks. May take you a month of work, but it's definitely worth it.

shinglis

I use SMF4Mobile - https://smfmobile.com/ and users seem to like it. It is a paid mod.

For note, I will probably just use the responsive theme when 2.1 issued.

njtweb

Quote from: melanie1986 on August 10, 2018, 01:11:52 AM
Hi,

I've been getting a lot of comments lately that people would love to join my site but since so many nowadays prefer to use their phones etc (I don't know why) they tell me that going on the site with their mobile devices and navigating it was a virtual nightmare. This I've noticed new members signing up, but never returning lately since Tapatalk now longer supports their app. Is there a good set for us, or an app members can use to properly view the forum and use it from their phones?

What version SMF are you running, and what is your theme? Almost ALL of my traffic is on a phone. I don't like conventional mobile themes. I am running SMF 2.0.15 and am using the Default "Curve" theme with the "Responsive Curve" mod. It's great, works wonderfully, the only drawback is the default menu. So I made my own icon menu.

Sir Osis of Liver

She's running 2.0.15, all custom themes.  Would have to change themes on all forums to make them responsive.  I'm currently having problems with Responsive Curve mod not working correctly with Curve Multi Color theme.  Installed it on another forum running default Curve and haven't had many complaints.  Won't work for OP.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

melanie1986

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2018, 12:42:55 PM
She's running 2.0.15, all custom themes.  Would have to change themes on all forums to make them responsive.  I'm currently having problems with Responsive Curve mod not working correctly with Curve Multi Color theme.  Installed it on another forum running default Curve and haven't had many complaints.  Won't work for OP.

Yes as he said, and sadly no I don't have any skills at all when it comes to HTML and CSS. I tried once and almost lost the entire site because of my stupidity. I'll check the responsive thing and see if that might work. Thanks for you answers everyone.

njtweb

Quote from: melanie1986 on August 10, 2018, 03:52:53 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2018, 12:42:55 PM

Yes as he said, and sadly no I don't have any skills at all when it comes to HTML and CSS. I tried once and almost lost the entire site because of my stupidity. I'll check the responsive thing and see if that might work. Thanks for you answers everyone.

Lots of excellent developers here who take job offers. I do it all time when I've got the cash and need something done or fixed correctly. Definitely worth it to ask for help.

Sir Osis of Liver

Hey, Mim.  Responsive Curve mod will make a mess of your themes.  Best bet would probably be to look through available responsive themes, see if you can find one or two you can customize using graphics from your custom themes.   Or else just tell your members to use a computer, like they're supposed to.  IMO, an iDiotphone is totally unsuitable for viewing/using a forum, display is way too small, wrong aspect ratio, even best responsive themes have to sacrifice a lot of functionality.  People should grow up, and accept that a toy is just a toy.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Please don't make such untrue statements.

Responsive curve works just fine on curve. That's the only theme it's supposed to work on.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Kindred on August 10, 2018, 10:05:49 PM

Responsive curve works just fine on curve. That's the only theme it's supposed to work on.
And it can also work just fine in many curve-based themes, since some themes hardly edit the templates or do many base css changes, so it's not that exclusive to curve either. But that is a risk you'd have to take in testing it.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on August 10, 2018, 10:05:49 PM

She's not using Curve, she's using customized themes (one of which I did) that are not based on Curve, some of them are quite old.  I'm currently chasing a problem with Responsive Curve in Curve Multi Color, which is very close to default Curve (posted in mod topic).  Other comments are my opinion, as indicated in post. ;)

- R. Waters

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2018, 09:38:56 PM
Or else just tell your members to use a computer, like they're supposed to.  IMO, an iDiotphone is totally unsuitable for viewing/using a forum, display is way too small, wrong aspect ratio, even best responsive themes have to sacrifice a lot of functionality.  People should grow up, and accept that a toy is just a toy.

Nowadays many people don't have a computer. Specially if you're talking about common people that don't use computers for anything more than browsing the web and chatting. The other side is that many people use it while they are not home or don't have access to a computer. That's not all cases (there's always the lot of the phone fanatics) but it's a good portion of them. Really depends on what kind of public you have.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Mick.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2018, 09:38:56 PM
Hey, Mim.  Responsive Curve mod will make a mess of your themes.  Best bet would probably be to look through available responsive themes, see if you can find one or two you can customize using graphics from your custom themes.   Or else just tell your members to use a computer, like they're supposed to.  IMO, an iDiotphone is totally unsuitable for viewing/using a forum, display is way too small, wrong aspect ratio, even best responsive themes have to sacrifice a lot of functionality.  People should grow up, and accept that a toy is just a toy.

Responsive Curve mod does not make a mess of custom themes. 90% of custom themes dont have templates since it robs it from the default theme, therefore it's already responsive in those areas. That's 99% of the battle covered. All you need in your custom theme is to add a responsive menu, make it scalable and adjust the width to max-width and some minor css adjustments. Make sure to add the responsive.css from default theme to the custom theme's css and call it from the index.template. It's very easy now since the team did most of the work.  ...and my site is fully responsive in any resolution. I use of course SMF 2.0.15 and SimplePortal. Simple Portal i made it responsive 100%.  https://www.idesignsmf.com

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, here's what she's currently running:

Forum 1 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 1
                        index.template.php

Forum 2 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 2   
                        index.template.php

Forum 3 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 3
                       BoardIndex.template.php
                       GenericList.template.php
                       index.template.php
                       MessageIndex.template.php
                       ModerationCenter.template.php
                       Profile.template.php

Forum 4 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 4
                       BoardIndex.template.php
                       Display.template.php
                       GenericMenu.template.php
                       index.template.php
                       Memberlist.template.php
                       PersonalMessage.template.php
                       Recent.template.php
                       Settings.template.php
                       Stats.template.php

All have quite a few mods.  First two themes look doable, third and fourth themes not so much.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Mick. on August 10, 2018, 10:47:53 PM
Make sure to add the responsive.css from default theme to the custom theme's css

Yessssssssssss! That's what I needed to know to fix the other forum I'm working on.  Thanks Mick.

- R. Waters

Mick.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 10, 2018, 11:30:33 PM
Ok, here's what she's currently running:

Forum 1 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 1
                        index.template.php

Forum 2 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 2   
                        index.template.php

Forum 3 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 3
                       BoardIndex.template.php
                       GenericList.template.php
                       index.template.php
                       ModerationCenter.template.php
                       Profile.template.php

Forum 4 -   SP 2.3.6
                    Custom theme 4
                       BoardIndex.template.php
                       Display.template.php
                       GenericMenu.template.php
                       index.template.php
                       Memberlist.template.php
                       PersonalMessage.template.php
                       Recent.template.php
                       Settings.template.php
                       Stats.template.php

All have quite a few mods.  First two themes look doable, third and fourth themes not so much.

Thats not a problem. The responsive css file is not going to edit those templates directly and break her forum on desktop view. It may/may not in mobile tho but you can adjust it in the theme's css if whatever mod altered it previously. Just gotta chase the classes and change the properties. Her best solution is to find a responsive theme and use it, unless she loves the themes she's already using and have someone work it for her.

Mick.

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 11, 2018, 12:14:55 AM
Quote from: Mick. on August 10, 2018, 10:47:53 PM
Make sure to add the responsive.css from default theme to the custom theme's css

Yessssssssssss! That's what I needed to know to fix the other forum I'm working on.  Thanks Mick.

...and call it from the index.template   
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/responsive.css?fin20" />

..and im sure you already have the meta to make it scalable
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no" />

Sir Osis of Liver

A lot of work went into her themes, I'm sure she'd like to keep them.  I can install them on a test forum and add the mod and check pc view, but I don't use a phone so I can't see the result in mobile. 

I'm surprised responsive curve doesn't add the css to other themes, it did edit the index template correctly.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Still not working on iphone.  I have this in index.template.php -

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />';

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/responsive', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?fin20" />';

- R. Waters

Antes

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 11, 2018, 12:43:59 AM
Still not working on iphone.  I have this in index.template.php -

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />';

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/responsive', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?fin20" />';

Your theme might have different min-width value in it.

Advertisement: