News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Signups

Started by kgw, August 23, 2018, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgw

So after a long time I came back to SMF.
I have it under a subdirectory as Wordpress is my main site.
I have not bridged them.
I set security up for Extreme visualization, added 7 questions, Email verification and I am supposed to get an email on sign ups.

My friends cant sign up as they cant read the extreme images, those that have managed, I dont get an email that they joined.

This morning (The site isn't advertised) I get 24 spam signups! My forums arent even 18 hours old! This only happens with SMF as I have been fiddling with PHPBB and Vanilla for months just to play around, with only 2 spam signups.

Whats the fix? might have to move to another forum as I am spending my time banning users and not working on the site:-( I prefer SMF for ease of use but this is a major security issue :-(

Irisado

Please could you confirm which version of SMF you are using.

I recommend that you take a look at this article: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Steve

In addition to what Irisado said, take a look at this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531660.msg3776163#msg3776163

Following those guidelines will knock out almost all spam signups.
DO NOT pm me for support!

GigaWatt

^^^ What Steve posted.

Trust me, the "a10 method" works wonders ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

It's usually a bad idea to install SMF in a subdirectory under WP.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: