News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Items removed in SMF 2.1

Started by noquiexis, August 11, 2018, 11:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noquiexis

Scattered throughout this forum are notes about items that are being removed from SMF 2.1 Among those are the "Move" , "glow" , and "shadow" editing features. Also the "Actors" and "Musicians" avatars have been removed (apparently due to licensing problems).

These are items that regular members are going to notice. Administrators and moderators will see other changes, too. Is there a list somewhere that shows all of the items that will no longer be available in SMF 2.1? I can make no sense of the Github site, so please do not suggest that.

??? ??? ???
"To me the meanest flower that blows can give
 Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."

William Wordsworth

d3vcho

There isn't actually a "what we have removed" guide, but we have this so far: Differences between SMF 2.1 and SMF 2.0
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Illori

some of the bbc codes that were removed will be restored in some respect, they may not completely function but mods can be created to restore the function.

noquiexis

d3vcho(void),

I did see that page. I realize that SMF 2.1 is not ready for the final release, but that page might be the best place to put the info on what was removed. Some items are already listed.

Illori,

I can live with the changes, but some older posts may show errors when these items are removed. I only ask to warn forum users that these items may not be available in the future. If they do not use them now, there will be no problems later.

8) 8) 8)

William Wordsworth

GigaWatt

Quote from: noquiexis on August 11, 2018, 11:56:24 AM
Also the "Actors" and "Musicians" avatars have been removed (apparently due to licensing problems).

Finally ::).

Quote from: noquiexis on August 11, 2018, 01:09:56 PM
I can live with the changes, but some older posts may show errors when these items are removed.

Actually, no, the BBCode won't be recognized, so it would look like if you had BBcode turned off, like if something was in a move tag, it would look like this:

[move]some text that should move[/move]

Quote from: noquiexis on August 11, 2018, 01:09:56 PM
I only ask to warn forum users that these items may not be available in the future. If they do not use them now, there will be no problems later.

Yes, that's fair ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

noquiexis

GigaWatt,

For those who have used avatars that are being removed, there will be an "x" where that image previously appeared (unless I choose to reload them). It will be up to the individual user whether or not they change the avatar. I already uploaded the Oxygen set, so folks do have access to those avatars.

As for the "(move)some text that should move(/move)" example that you cited, that would still be an error. That will also be up to the individual user whether or not they edit their posts with these errors. I do not intend to install a bunch of mods to get these simple things back in operation. Hence my statement, "I can live with the changes..."

I imagine that the changelog for SMF 2.1 will tell us what has been removed as well as what has been added. Still, some advance notification now would be appreciated.

;) ;) ;)

William Wordsworth

GigaWatt

Quote from: noquiexis on August 16, 2018, 08:44:08 PM
For those who have used avatars that are being removed, there will be an "x" where that image previously appeared (unless I choose to reload them). It will be up to the individual user whether or not they change the avatar. I already uploaded the Oxygen set, so folks do have access to those avatars.

Yes, I understand that... and I don't actually care. IMO, members that use the default avatars are usually ones that have little to no interest in joining the community. Their post count is lower then 10 in most cases, so... as I said, I don't actually care.

On the other hand, I haven't seen an active member that either didn't have an avatar (their personal choice) or didn't have a custom avatar.

I just went through a major clean up of about one half of the members on my forum... most of them haven't logged in in 5 years, so forgive me if I'm not all in tears if the default avatars are gone.

Not to mention that those were completely useless for the field of interest/discussion of my forum, so, I for one, won't miss them at all.

As for the "(move)some text that should move(/move)" example that you cited, that would still be an error. That will also be up to the individual user whether or not they edit their posts with these errors. I do not intend to install a bunch of mods to get these simple things back in operation. Hence my statement, "I can live with the changes..."

Generally speaking, I wouldn't call it an "error". Basically, it's just misformatted text. Everything is readable if you just ignore the tags. Besides, you can always remove those tags from posts manually with a script ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Gwenwyfar

That was actually changed recently, and those tags won't show up at all, as if they were not there. They will, however, still remain in the post code.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

GigaWatt

Even better ;). I don't have to bother to remove them manually ;).

albertlast

Since some months is a js implementation in smf 2.1 which catch cases where the avatar can not be found,
in this case the default avatar will be displayed.

@rjen

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 16, 2018, 09:40:51 PM
That was actually changed recently, and those tags won't show up at all, as if they were not there. They will, however, still remain in the post code.

Now I wonder...

I have posts where brackets are used for other purposes, for example indication to users to push a button (like so: "press [SAVE]" )
This thingy that suppresses tags like [move ][ /move] because those are outdated: will that also suppress these texts like [SAVE] in the example above?
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: @rjen on August 17, 2018, 05:27:45 AM
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 16, 2018, 09:40:51 PM

Now I wonder...

I have posts where brackets are used for other purposes, for example indication to users to push a button (like so: "press [SAVE]" )
This thingy that suppresses tags like [move ][ /move] because those are outdated: will that also suppress these texts like [SAVE] in the example above?
No, it is parsing only those bbc specifically.

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

noquiexis

If something works as planned in SMF 2.0.15, but does not work after the upgrade to SMF 2.1, the original poster will see that as an error. My stated goal was to give my forum members an advance warning of the proposed changes.

This discussion is about how the software behaves, not about the relative value of forum users. Please confine your replies to the issue at hand.

William Wordsworth

Arantor

Except that some of the decisions about why things were removed or fundamentwlly changed are inherently about perceived value judgements relating to users.

And no upgrade ever guarantees that every feature ever before will continue to exist, error or no error. In fact, that assumption starts from the premise that every change is bad because a difference in behaviour is now implicitly a bug rather than anything else. Change is merely that, a change. Your description of it as an error inherently makes it a judgement call.

Citation: I wrote thousands of lines of 2.1.

Kindred

also, having been involved with forums, you should know that no discussion is ever actually "confined" to the original issue :P

I don't know that the release notes will go into significant detail over every change...  (actually, typically, our release notes have a single line about a major change and may not detail minor changes, given the timeframe of the current releases and changes to teams during that timeframe) :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Things I can remember having been removed from 2.0 in 2.1:

* core features page, enabling things is done elsewhere now
* admin panel backup system, it just didn't work particularly well
* admin menu toggle between drop down and sidebar, now it's only the drop down
* SHA1 passwords so all the existing code people use to bridge in making accounts now doesn't work properly (except it's been replaced with a much more secure hash, which in itself shows that this isn't an error to remove one behaviour and change it with another)

shawnb61

Karma's gone.  (No reason to hold back now!  >:D)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Gwenwyfar

The openID system was removed as well, wasn't it? (I guess no one really cares all that much about this one :P)

Also the ability to add html to board descriptions was removed.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 17, 2018, 12:54:20 PM
The openID system was removed as well, wasn't it? (I guess no one really cares all that much about this one :P)

Never used it in my life

Advertisement: