how to upgrade a forum?

Started by MacGig, August 12, 2018, 03:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGig

I have a friends forum running smf 2.0.4. how do I update this to 2.0.15? been years since I've messed with smf so Im a little rusty and don't remember. thanks. :)

do I need ftp access or can it be updated from within the forums itself as the admin?

MacGig

MacGig

was working great until I did the last update. now I got a blank page, something happened it didnt like on the very last update. lol. got to call the web host now and figure out what happened. 

This page isn't working
(mysite dot com)  is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

SychO

Quote from: MacGig on August 12, 2018, 03:44:38 PM
was working great until I did the last update. now I got a blank page, something happened it didnt like on the very last update. lol. got to call the web host now and figure out what happened.

What's your php version ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

MacGig

doing this for a friend. have to get him to check. it's probably an older version I'm sure.

SychO

Quote from: MacGig on August 12, 2018, 03:46:39 PM
doing this for a friend. have to get him to check. it's probably an older version I'm sure.

You can check in Admin >> Main >> Support and Credits, but I guess you can't now
php version has to be 5.4.0 or higher
you can(or your friend) check php version this way as well https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_is_a_phpinfo()_file
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

MacGig

the last update hosed the forum. just a blank page now. lol. have to get the hosting co to restore from a backup then I'll check. thanks for the info/help.

Illori

better to ask the host the php version and upgrade it then restore the backup as you dont know when they last did the backup unless they have told you.

MacGig

we have one backup. on a site thats been active for 25 years. LOL.  and that backup is being rotated out in less than 10 hours. the only backup was about a month ago or a little less. forum works again now so the backup works. their updating php now for us. 30 minutes or less it will be done.

Kindred

Seriously, there was no need to do that. Update php to 5.6 or higher and the forum would work just fine
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Did it fail when installing .14 patch?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: