News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Multiple Membergroups with Different Permissions on Different Forums

Started by MisterVertigo, August 14, 2018, 05:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterVertigo

Hello all! I'm brand new here! I'm the webmaster of a relatively large community running on a different platform, and I'm looking at some different options to change our platform. I'm been doing some testing with SMF and so far it has almost all the features I'm looking for.

I have one thing that is confusing me greatly though, and that is Permissions.

I have lots of groups, and almost all my members belong to multiple groups and there is lots of overlap. However, I have certain forums where permissions may be different based on group membership.

Let's say I have Member 1 and Member 2, Group A, Group B, and Group C, and finally Forum X, Forum Y, and Forum Z.

Both Member 1 and Member 2 are a member of Group A, as most of my members are. However, Member 1 is in Group B and Member 2 is in Group C. All groups have the same permissions to read and post to Forum X. However, for Forum Y and Forum Z I want all groups be able to read it, but only Group B can post in Forum Y and Group C can post in Forum Z.

Is it possible to get this granular with permissions? I'm fine with installing a mod or something if I have to, but I have a feeling that this can be done but I'm just not getting my head wrapped around how the permissions work here. I know there are options to Deny, and I think that will be part of it, but I'm just not sure how to set up Groups or the Permission Profiles to make this work.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, so please let me know if I can clarify. Thank you all in advance!

Arantor

Yes, though it isn't that obvious.

What happens is that boards have a permissions profile (so you can set permissions very broadly very easily). By default all boards have the 'default' profile but in the permissions area, you can create a new profile, assign the permissions to it and then assign it to a given board (or boards) just for those groups.

MisterVertigo

Illori, I did see some of those links but I missed a couple of the wiki pages. Thank you.

Arantor, I completely understand what you are saying but I think I need to play around a bit more in the interface to figure out exactly HOW to do what you describe! It does sound like I'll be able to do what I'm aiming for though.

Thank you both!

MisterVertigo

Thanks again guys. I spent some time making test forums and groups, and I think I have it working as I wanted. It wasn't COMPLETELY intuitive, but once I figured it out it makes complete sense how it works. Thank you!

Advertisement: