How to edit 'start new topic' page

Started by brettuk, August 16, 2018, 02:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettuk

Hi,

what template do is responsible for the look and layout for the 'start new topic' function?

Thanks.

Arantor

Look and layout is controlled by Post.template.php but before you do, what *exactly* do you want to do? It's a massively complex thing to get right (because there's the other couple of thousand lines of code connected to it)

brettuk

Quote from: Arantor on August 16, 2018, 02:49:11 PM
Look and layout is controlled by Post.template.php but before you do, what *exactly* do you want to do? It's a massively complex thing to get right (because there's the other couple of thousand lines of code connected to it)

Gotcha. I am looking to do lots, similar to what the chap at Biology Forums has done.

Topic tips, simple design, and more importantly, an advisory that appears when a subject is below 15 characters. Similarly to what they have done with 'Topic too short'.

Arantor

So you need to write a bunch of code into both Post() and Post2() inside Post.php as well... fun times.

brettuk

Quote from: Arantor on August 16, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
So you need to write a bunch of code into both Post() and Post2() inside Post.php as well... fun times.

Yep, if only I knew how to write the damn code!  :D

brettuk

Do you know if there is an easy approach to remove a select few of the BBC icons?

Arantor

That depends whether you want to turn off the underlying bbc or not really... if you want to disable bbc (and thus their icons), that's easy and doesn't require code changes.

If you want to turn off just the icons, you'll need to go editing around in Subs-Editor.php.

brettuk

Quote from: Arantor on August 16, 2018, 04:28:10 PM
That depends whether you want to turn off the underlying bbc or not really... if you want to disable bbc (and thus their icons), that's easy and doesn't require code changes.

If you want to turn off just the icons, you'll need to go editing around in Subs-Editor.php.

Ace, thanks for your help. I have removed the ones I don't want.

cao you know how to remove Font Face, Font Size and Change Color by any chance?

Arantor

Not offhand, it requires a little more complex stuff unless you disable the size, color and font bbcs. The whole editor is hard work, really.

brettuk

Quote from: Arantor on August 16, 2018, 05:51:45 PM
Not offhand, it requires a little more complex stuff unless you disable the size, color and font bbcs. The whole editor is hard work, really.

No problem, ended up removing it via CSS.

brettuk

Where is this? I am ediitng post.template.php, but of course, this is reflecting in the new topic section (which is what I want), however, also in the reply section.

Advertisement: