Forum front page design

Started by Humph, August 19, 2018, 04:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humph

Hello expert.
I have a very important question.

please, how can I use link listing of categories or board on the home page of my smf forum, the version is 2.0.15?

If you don't understand my question, please, take a look at the pictures that I attached below. I want my forum home page to look that way ....

Illori

why do you want it to just be a list of stuff? to me that does not look very user friendly.

Humph

That is what I want on my forum home page...Can anybody help me?

Gwenwyfar

You should look at a basic HTML guide. A plain list of links/paragraphs set to center are going to do that.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Sir Osis of Liver

How awful. :P  You'd be better off using child boards with tidy child board mod (which I can't seem to find on mod site :().
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Biology Forums

Many Nigerian websites use this model. It's not outrageous at all.

Gwenwyfar

Oh, sorry, I thought that was for an index page... if you want to modify the forum template, you'd need to edit the template files to remove/hide everything that will show on it.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

lurkalot

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 19, 2018, 07:47:59 PM
Oh, sorry, I thought that was for an index page... if you want to modify the forum template, you'd need to edit the template files to remove/hide everything that will show on it.

If I'm correct the OP is already using a portal, so should be able to build it straight into a front page block, and display it on its own without other forum content.

Biology Forums

Stick would require a code that automatically populates the boards

lurkalot

Quote from: Study Force on August 20, 2018, 02:54:42 AM
Stick would require a code that automatically populates the boards

I guess for news or posts yes, but the OP asked about "link listing of categories or board" So thought Gwenwyfar was on the right track with,

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 19, 2018, 05:50:44 PM
You should look at a basic HTML guide. A plain list of links/paragraphs set to center are going to do that.

Kindred

Quote from: Study Force on August 19, 2018, 06:31:56 PM
Many Nigerian websites use this model. It's not outrageous at all.

Just because they use it - does not mean that it is not terrible UI and not outrageous...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on August 20, 2018, 07:26:52 AM
Just because they use it - does not mean that it is not terrible UI and not outrageous...

Actually, I agree... I wouldn't call it outrageous though... just not nice to look at and would probably draw me away from the site.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Mick.

I've seen many of them. They're terrible to look at. It's like a link farm, reminds me of Craigslist back in the day hahahaha. Didn't Google penalize your ranking for having more than 100 links in your landing page about 10yrs ago? They still doing that today? Things must've changed lol  :P

corpersforum

Quote from: Mick. on August 20, 2018, 06:03:10 PM
I've seen many of them. They're terrible to look at. It's like a link farm, reminds me of Craigslist back in the day hahahaha. Didn't Google penalize your ranking for having more than 100 links in your landing page about 10yrs ago? They still doing that today? Things must've changed lol  :P

This is 2018 Mick and things have really changed.

corpersforum

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on August 19, 2018, 05:50:44 PM

That site is actually my site and Gwenwyfar answered it correctly. However, if you need more help or a plain explanation, let me know below.

Kindred

that is utterly horrible, IMO...

Sorry, corpersforum but that is an unreadable mess of text and links...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

corpersforum

Quote from: Kindred on August 27, 2018, 10:18:19 AM

Sorry, corpersforum but that is an unreadable mess of text and links...

LMAO... You are probably too advance to understand how things work here. People from here are super heroes with a super sense of sight. if it's horrible, you think someone will come here to ask how it was made? Environment determines a lit.

Kindred

well, also, sometimes people don't realize how bad something is until they actually do something different.

Just because naira forum does that does not make it useful or good.   :P
Слaва
Украинi

njtweb

Quote from: Mick. on August 20, 2018, 06:03:10 PM

Craigslist still looks like that today.

landyvlad

Quote from: GigaWatt on August 20, 2018, 05:27:54 PM
just not nice to look at and would probably draw me away from the site.

Probably?  I''d run screaming !!!!

Quote from: Kindred on August 27, 2018, 10:18:19 AM
an unreadable mess of text and links...
Indeed.

Quote from: Study Force on August 19, 2018, 06:31:56 PM
Many Nigerian websites use this model.

I'd suggest that's not exactly a glowing endorsement.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

GigaWatt

Quote from: landyvlad on September 04, 2018, 07:36:32 PM
Probably?  I''d run screaming !!!!

I only wrote "probably" because I would still visit it, but only if it had some info or files that I needed. In any other scenario (randomly finding the site), I'd just close the tab... wouldn't run screaming though, as I've seen worse ones. Don't know what is it with some site owners and sparkles, customized cursors, popups left, right, up, down, but IMO, that is way more annoying then this "link mess" thing. Just when you're trying to read something, login, register, whatever, there goes another popup with some Asian girl half naked ::)... and, of course, the popups are so badly designed, that in most cases, they cover all of the buttons that really matter, like login, logout, etc. ::). I don't mind ads if they're placed in a tasteful manner, but having them all over the page, covering everything else of importance... that's just ridiculous.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: