News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

one-click Simple Machines installer? any reviews?

Started by raffm, August 21, 2018, 01:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raffm

Hello,

First off, I hope this does not come across spammy and this is the right place to post this.

I found this tool: VPSrobots that comes with an auto-installer for Simple Machines CMS. I tried using it to build a Simple Machine site on my server and it surprisingly took only few minutes with one click ease. Any reviews on it? Is this helpful for Simple Machines users?

also I put the screenshot on the attachment.

SychO

The Simple Machines Team usually recommend using the install package provided on the official site and install manually, one of the reasons is because auto installers aren't up to date with the latest versions, but that's pretty much all I know.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Sir Osis of Liver

Most hosts have an installer for scripts that are included in hosting package.  Some work better than others, some are awful, none are recommended.  Best bet is to do install yourself, as per instructions in wiki -

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

That will insure a clean install, and makes it a lot easier for support to assist you if you run into problems.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

raffm

Quote from: SychO on August 21, 2018, 02:14:19 AM
The Simple Machines Team usually recommend using the install package provided on the official site and install manually, one of the reasons is because auto installers aren't up to date with the latest versions, but that's pretty much all I know.

Thanks for the information! That is a real concern!

raffm

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 21, 2018, 02:15:15 AM
Most hosts have an installer for scripts that are included in hosting package.  Some work better than others, some are awful, none are recommended.  Best bet is to do install yourself, as per instructions in wiki -

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

That will insure a clean install, and makes it a lot easier for support to assist you if you run into problems.

Thanks for your comment! You know this tool is pretty interesting as it works on desktop basis rather than web, aside from that, the installer is a basic feature available in a free plan, these fact motivated me to give it a try at first time.

Kindred

1- we have no control over autoinstallers - so we don't/can't support them and have no idea what they may have changed from our core installation. (and some of them change things in unsuggested ways)

2- SMF is not a CMS. It's a forum.

3- It soudns like this VPS robots installs a web server, php and mysql at the same time...    ugh. no. I would never use such a thing (see point 1)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mick.

Normally i install it manually but i've been known to be lazy and use Softaculous from my hosting company that i trust. I've been with them for 9 years and they keep the softwares up to date. Their installers installs wordpress, SMF, and some other site building stuff. Pretty niffty tool.

Kindred

the problem with that, Mick, is that the softaculous installer can then "automatically" update your site, erasing all mods (because they use the full upgrade archive, not the patch package file)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mick.

Quote from: Kindred on August 21, 2018, 02:06:33 PM
the problem with that, Mick, is that the softaculous installer can then "automatically" update your site, erasing all mods (because they use the full upgrade archive, not the patch package file)
Oh. You mean automaticaly?

Kindred

yup...   several people have come in over the years, with complaints that their site stopped working or that mods went away - after we made a release and hosts using softaculous forced an update which basically replaced all of the files with clean ones - without warning the user.
Слaва
Украинi

Mick.

Quote from: Kindred on August 21, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
yup...   several people have come in over the years, with complaints that their site stopped working or that mods went away - after we made a release and hosts using softaculous forced an update which basically replaced all of the files with clean ones - without warning the user.
Wow! I didnt know that. I've never used it for my live site but have used it for my demo and dev sites.

Veee

Pretty sure there's an option on softaculous that disables automatic updates...

landyvlad

Yeah there must be. I originally installed my forum withy softaculous and it doesn't update automatically. Just advises when an update is available.  I always update 'manually' though.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: