Banned user - cannot find trigger

Started by dhdhhbhb, August 21, 2018, 08:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhdhhbhb

Hi, we have a user whose is getting banned messages from one device. I cannot find his IP, email, hostname or username in any of our ban triggers. I do see his ban errors on the one IP. Is there some cache on the server somewhere that might have his IP stuck?

SMF 2.0.15

Thanks

D.

shawnb61

I would double-check cpanel & your site-level .htaccess file.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

dhdhhbhb

Already checked there - the IP question was working until a few days ago. No recent bans include any of his details. Having him delete his forum cookies next. I also saw an old thread in here where changing the cookie number on the server may help - will that break anything for other users?

D.

Illori

have you checked your error log to see if it gives you some details on the ban that was hit?

dhdhhbhb

Yes but no useful info I can see other than leading me back to the ban error messages:

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member Guest
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address *redacted-by-me*
     Reverse chronological order of list August 20, 2018, 06:54:01 PM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 32bb842887de3752e082efe5303f0d57
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: User

Illori

it does not tell you a message that was given to the user as reason for being banned? usually those are noted and then you can check your bans for that message to see what may have caused the ban for this user.

dhdhhbhb

Yes it tells the message - does not say which ban he hit. His user is not banned.

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
This ban is not set to expire.
?

The first initial ones included his username.

The issue is, in all our ban triggers, there is no mention of his IP, username, hostname or email anywhere.

D.

Illori

then you may need to start to disable bans until the user can log in, once the user has gotten in then start to enable them again as needed.

dhdhhbhb

Removing bans not an option for a one user issue on this busy forum with hostile ex-users trying to get back in daily. Will have him try the delete cookies option.

Thanks

D.

Advertisement: