Admin not receiving pending registration notices

Started by keyrocks, August 23, 2018, 12:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyrocks

I'm hoping to find someone who can help me with a puzzling problem.
I'm running a small forum with less than 200 active user accounts - SMF 2.0.14.
I know the email function works OK - I've sent and received emails from one account to the Administrator using the SMF email panel.
I've also run a testmail.php script from the server's root - received them OK too every time I ran the script.

The Problem:
I have new registrations set to "Admin Approval".
Problem is - when someone complete a new registration they get an email notice that their account is waiting for the Admin to approve it ... but  I never get email notifications that a new registration has been made or that it is waiting for my approval.

Any idea why this occurs? A solution would be most appreciated.

SychO

Make sure "Notify administrators when a new member joins" is checked in the Registration settings
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

keyrocks

Quote from: SychO on August 23, 2018, 04:37:15 AM
Make sure "Notify administrators when a new member joins" is checked in the Registration settings

It is checked.

GigaWatt

Have you tried registering a test account yourself? Confirm that it's definitely not working?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

keyrocks

Quote from: GigaWatt on August 23, 2018, 10:12:11 AM
Have you tried registering a test account yourself? Confirm that it's definitely not working?

Yes. The registrant receives the default email notification:
Quote from: Registrant Notification
Your registration request at ABCDE Forum has been received, Bill Jones.
The username you registered with was Bill Jones. If you forget your password, you can change it at http://abcde.ca/forums/index.php?action=reminder.

Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved.  When this happens, you will receive another email from this address.

Regards,
The ABCDE Forum Team.

No email notice is sent to the Administrator.

When there are pending registrations requiring Admin approval, a third text link - "Awaiting Approval (x)" - appears in the Manage Members panel, to the right of "Search for Members". Clicking it displays a list of pending registrants. Unfortunately it isn't easy easy to notice it there. I think I'll try adding that link to show in a panel at the top of the Home Page when the Admin is logged in. I did that on another SMF forum site 6 years ago and it worked well.

SychO

Checkout My Themes:
-

keyrocks

Quote from: SychO on August 23, 2018, 11:15:17 AM
Did you check your spam folder ?

Yes - nothing in my junk mail folder or spam folder.

Kindred

is your admin account receiving ANY emails from the forum?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

keyrocks

Quote from: Kindred on August 23, 2018, 02:15:35 PM
is your admin account receiving ANY emails from the forum?

Only when a site member sends an email to the administrator using the SMF email panel by clicking the email icon from the Members' list.

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

keyrocks

SychO

Profile -> Modify Profile -> Notifications

Do you have "Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email." checked ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

Kindred

what I am thinking is that his system may be rejecting emails from the administration stuff because they are being sent to and from the same email address....   but I'm not sure.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

keyrocks

Quote from: SychO on August 24, 2018, 04:32:19 AM
Profile -> Modify Profile -> Notifications
Do you have "Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email." checked ?

Checked.

Quote from: Kindred on August 24, 2018, 07:14:13 AM
what I am thinking is that his system may be rejecting emails from the administration stuff because they are being sent to and from the same email address....   but I'm not sure.

Administrator and Webmaster are using the same email address. That should not cause a conflict, should it?

Kindred

Actually, that could be the problem

Could be that your mail system or server assumes that emails from yourself are spoofed
Слaва
Украинi

keyrocks

Quote from: Kindred on August 24, 2018, 09:20:23 PM
Actually, that could be the problem
Could be that your mail system or server assumes that emails from yourself are spoofed

Plausible ... though I am not sending emails to myself.
I and one other person are Administrators with "all possible permissions".
Both use email addresses different from their receiving addresses - messages to them are forwarded to them from the addresses used in their accounts to their primary email addresses but neither receive notifications of new registrations waiting for admin approval (pending).

Just to be sure I changed the Webmaster address to a different one that forwards to my primary email address.
I have also checked the email account I use for my Administration account and it is forwarding to my primary email account.

I registered another test account ... with another email address that forwards to my primary email account.
I received the notification to the registrant, but did not receive the notification that should go to the Administrator, and neither did the other person.

When I logged in again as Admin, I checked the members list and found the new registrant was not listed. Using "Search for Members" I searched for the new registrant's name and email address and neither resulted in a match - it seems the new un-approved account does not exist. I cannot see a list of pending registrations either - the third text link - "Awaiting Approval (x)" - that appeared in the Manage Members panel before is not visible now.

This is baffling.

Kindred

Awaiting activation only appears when someone IS awaiting activation.

and the accounts should be visible....

Check the smf_members table in the database.
If the user account is present in that section, but is not showing up in the admin memberlist section, then you have bigger problems than missing emails.

Do you have any extra anti-spam mods?
Слaва
Украинi

keyrocks

Quote from: Kindred on August 26, 2018, 11:01:56 AM
1 - Awaiting activation only appears when someone IS awaiting activation.
and the accounts should be visible....

2 - Check the smf_members table in the database.
If the user account is present in that section, but is not showing up in the admin memberlist section, then you have bigger problems than missing emails.

3 - Do you have any extra anti-spam mods?

1 - correct.
2 - The new user account is in the smf_members d-base table.
3 - no additional anti-spam mods installed.

I switched to 'Curve' (SMF Default) theme. The new user account still isn't listed in the Members List ... but I do have  "There are 2 members waiting for approval" in my User (admin) profile block in the upper left corner of the header. The site's site-wide theme doesn't have the profile block in its template so I'll need to customize the home page template so it will display the "waiting for approval" line prominently where Admins can't miss it.

However that won't solve why the new user accounts are not listed in the Members List or why the Admins aren't getting email notifications when new registrants have signed up.

GigaWatt

Quote from: keyrocks on August 26, 2018, 12:42:15 PM
I switched to 'Curve' (SMF Default) theme. The new user account still isn't listed in the Members List ... but I do have  "There are 2 members waiting for approval" in my User (admin) profile block in the upper left corner of the header.

Is one of those accounts the test account you registered previously? If you do approve it, does it show up in the members list?

keyrocks

Quote from: GigaWatt on August 26, 2018, 07:19:38 PM
Is one of those accounts the test account you registered previously? If you do approve it, does it show up in the members list?

Yes.

Advertisement: