News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Social Login without a Middle Man

Started by Biology Forums, August 24, 2018, 11:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

How many webmasters have created their own social login without using a middle man like Gigya or Oneall?

For example, I want to incorporate Google, Facebook, and Twitter -- that's all.

Is it hard to do?

Documentations for each are readily available, but how to incorporate?

https://developers.google.com/+/web/signin/
https://developers.google.com/identity/sign-in/web/sign-in

Mick.

before oneall mod, i think vbgamer made a twitter and facebook login mod.....or someone else did. search the mod site, I used to use it in the past but i dont remember who made it.

vbgamer45

You can do it. Just more to maintain.
I would suggest checking out
https://hybridauth.github.io/
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

landyvlad

Just some random thoughts may or may not be useful to you :)

I'm wondering why you want to limit it in that way?

The advantage of third party solutions (like oneall social login, for example, but as you mention there are others) is that they can largely manage API's and so on, and you select what networks people can use to log in with.

For a study forum, students (especially younger people) tend to jump on various sites and they may prefer to be able to log in with Instagram, for example.  (Apparently facebook is for 'old people' now, so I'm told)

You can then adjust what networks people can use to log in, largely with the tick of a box.

I had no need for a social login for my forum, so removed it, and some do change the login template code of SMF (I believe oneall is an example) which can lead to problems.  This has been discussed in this forum before so a search should find it.

As far as data security is concerned though, I'd be more concerned (or at least just as concerned) with FB or Google themselves as they are the major data miners.. )
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Kindred

The disadvantage to third party solutions is that you are then dependent upon them to update their script when either the first or the second party changes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Biology Forums

Another limitations is the cost, the oneall freemium plan allows for 2500 registrations per year. I surpass that in 1 month. The cost isn't reasonable either, some plans go for over 200 dollars per month!

njtweb

Dzonny

Kindred

no. The SA Facebook integration was never updated to use the current facebook APIs - it's been broken for full integration for over a year.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Paracelsus

SMFPacks Social Login works flawlessly: https://www.smfpacks.com/sociallogin/ Don't know though if there is some "middle man" there or not. ;D

njtweb

So, I bought this. I went to generate my FB app and got a message FB is no longer generating user apps. I went to Twitter to create my twitter app and I had to submit an application for review which they still haven't responded.

Biology Forums

Quote from: njtweb on September 12, 2018, 09:20:39 AM
So, I bought this. I went to generate my FB app and got a message FB is no longer generating user apps. I went to Twitter to create my twitter app and I had to submit an application for review which they still haven't responded.

FB should be instant. Twitter now has the review stage added. Give it 24 hours.

In time, I will buy this mod, I'm waiting for SMF 2.1.

SychO

last time I checked, It became harder with Facebook, they asked me to make an explanation video of why I need certain permissions in the app
they don't easily allow user apps
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

njtweb

It doesn't work with either FB or Twitter. Both apps are configured. I get a domain isn't declared error, (domain is declared) for FB and an "Error receiving security token" with Twitter.

njtweb

BTW... The SMFPacks social login doesn't work, it's a waste of money. Don't waste your time, it's no different than the free mod here, they don't provide any support either.

Nibogo

Quote from: njtweb on September 13, 2018, 10:15:03 AM
BTW... The SMFPacks social login doesn't work, it's a waste of money. Don't waste your time, it's no different than the free mod here, they don't provide any support either.

So you reported today that you weren't able to create the app property, I checked and the development interface from Facebook changed, so I told you I was going to update the guide and because of that you are claiming it's not working? The mod is working, you can't blame me for a Facebook update, plenty of SMF sites are using it perfectly fine.

Quote from: Paracelsus on September 11, 2018, 04:33:54 PM
SMFPacks Social Login works flawlessly: https://www.smfpacks.com/sociallogin/ Don't know though if there is some "middle man" there or not. ;D

Thanks for the feedback, and there isn't any man in the middle, everything goes from your site to the social site :)

Biology Forums

Quote from: SychO on September 12, 2018, 10:30:51 AM
last time I checked, It became harder with Facebook, they asked me to make an explanation video of why I need certain permissions in the app
they don't easily allow user apps

I think that's Instagram, because FB is still doable without. We've essentially lost our freedom, everything requires extra work these days. I also find every developer site extremely complicated to use and configure, no matter how friendly the interface becomes.

@Nibogo, that's the problem when you have no middle man, it's hard to maintain. I will purchase once 2.1 is official.

Advertisement: