News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Social Login without a Middle Man

Started by Biology Forums, August 24, 2018, 11:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Quote from: Nibogo on September 13, 2018, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: njtweb on September 13, 2018, 10:15:03 AM
BTW... The SMFPacks social login doesn't work, it's a waste of money. Don't waste your time, it's no different than the free mod here, they don't provide any support either.

So you reported today that you weren't able to create the app property, I checked and the development interface from Facebook changed, so I told you I was going to update the guide and because of that you are claiming it's not working? The mod is working, you can't blame me for a Facebook update, plenty of SMF sites are using it perfectly fine.

Quote from: Paracelsus on September 11, 2018, 04:33:54 PM
SMFPacks Social Login works flawlessly: https://www.smfpacks.com/sociallogin/ Don't know though if there is some "middle man" there or not. ;D

Thanks for the feedback, and there isn't any man in the middle, everything goes from your site to the social site :)

1st - I reported the installation installed two FB and 2 twitter buttons. Your response, "you installed it twice, remove one install". To which I responded, no I didn't install it twice, there is only one install in the package manager. Your response, nothing.

2nd - In my helpdesk ticket I reported that the FB interface wasn't working and provided you the error, I then reported Twitter wasn't working and provided you the error. Your response, you moved my ticket into the general forum and mentioned there is an issue, that was it. My ticket was closed out and you left my concerns with your forum customers for them to answer.

It doesn't work "Flawlessly" it obviously has several issues, you charge $30 for a mod that is no different than the free mod here. I bought your mod solely because I figured if I paid I'd get a "flawless" product with support should I need it. I got neither, it's a complete waste of money.

Kindred

njtweb - there may only be one showing in the packman...   but, if you see two buttons, then it is likely that you double-installed and have to manually remove one of the duplicate code changes
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

Quote from: Kindred on September 14, 2018, 10:00:19 AM
njtweb - there may only be one showing in the packman...   but, if you see two buttons, then it is likely that you double-installed and have to manually remove one of the duplicate code changes

I understand that, however I clicked install 1 time. Either way, doesn't matter. I'm not bothering with it and have already written it off as a $30 waste. And his support is useless.

Nibogo

The ticket was moved to the bugs report board because Facebook changing their app setup is a general problem (it's not only affecting you, just like the Twitter one which is in the same board as it was reported at the beggining of the week), I'm sorry you feel so bad about it, hopefully when the guide is updated you can give it a try, this should be done over this weekend, you'll be notifed via email and then we can tackle the problem with two buttons which indeed happens when the edits are done twice as Kindred said. I can't use this as a support board, so feel free to contact me if you have any further problem after the upgraded instructions.

Quote from: Study Force on September 14, 2018, 12:54:11 AM
I think that's Instagram, because FB is still doable without. We've essentially lost our freedom, everything requires extra work these days. I also find every developer site extremely complicated to use and configure, no matter how friendly the interface becomes.

@Nibogo, that's the problem when you have no middle man, it's hard to maintain. I will purchase once 2.1 is official.

You're right there! I have to do releases every now and then for changes in the providers APIs or their setup, but it's worth it since plenty of users prefer to not have a man in the middle for this kind of process.

Biology Forums

I'm officially starting a "social login" plugin on my own. I figure I might as well learn the code; better now than never.

@Nibogo: Do you plan on having Instagram? I think I may just buy yours and port it to 1.x, since that's what I'm currently using.

Biology Forums

Well... I finally did it. Took me 8 hours of work to get Facebook to login and register.

If you feel like Beta testing it, here's the register link: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=register

Next up is Google, then Instagram, then Twitter.

Biology Forums

Google... done!
Windows... done!

Much easier than I thought it would be.

Mick.

Quote from: Biology Forums on November 28, 2019, 12:49:58 AM
Google... done!
Windows... done!

Much easier than I thought it would be.
Very cool man! I registered using Google without a hitch.

Biology Forums

Thanks bro

I feel like I should package this up and make a free mod out of it. Honestly, once you create the functions and produce the code, adding new social networks becomes the easy part.

Mick.

Quote from: Biology Forums on November 28, 2019, 10:33:36 AM
Thanks bro

I feel like I should package this up and make a free mod out of it. Honestly, once you create the functions and produce the code, adding new social networks becomes the easy part.
Just know that packaging it, you'd become the middle man. Everytime they update their API, you'd have to update the mod. Pretty much monthly lol

Wellwisher

Quote from: Mick. on November 28, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Thanks bro

Just know that packaging it, you'd become the middle man. Everytime they update their API, you'd have to update the mod. Pretty much monthly lol

Nice work. 8 hrs doe.  8) I have an attention span of a gold fish so kodos to your lvl of focus. Congrats on the achievement. I've spoke with a few third party social login sellers. Most of whom, aren't bothered to keep their API up to date and the support is lack luster. So I haven't touched them with a 10ft pole. However, if you're using your own mod, i might just use your mod and happily donate for a good cause (if you decide to publish it ofc).

Biology Forums

Quote from: Mick. on November 28, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Thanks bro

Didn't think of it that way, but you're definitely right.

Quote from: Wellwisher on November 29, 2019, 07:42:32 PM
Nice work. 8 hrs doe.  8) I have an attention span of a gold fish so kodos to your lvl of focus. Congrats on the achievement. I've spoke with a few third party social login sellers. Most of whom, aren't bothered to keep their API up to date and the support is lack luster. So I haven't touched them with a 10ft pole. However, if you're using your own mod, i might just use your mod and happily donate for a good cause (if you decide to publish it ofc).

Thank you! I don't mind porting this to 2.x, but it'd only be for people who don't mind getting their hands dirty editing files without a user interface. Most buyers want an easy solution, and I don't blame them if they're paying for it

Adrek

@Biology Forums did you use any tutorials on how to make it work? I tried while ago to make FB login with HybridAuth, but after few days unsuccessful tries I gave up on this idea..
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

Biology Forums

Quote from: phantomm on November 30, 2019, 02:18:14 PM
@Biology Forums did you use any tutorials on how to make it work? I tried while ago to make FB login with HybridAuth, but after few days unsuccessful tries I gave up on this idea..

Hybridauth does all the heavy lifting in the sense that it reads what the networks output from their APIs, and places them into variables that you can use to input into tables found on your server, namely the members table. No tutorials were available, unfortunately. If you'd like me to code it for you, shoot me an email with your best price, and the networks you want

Advertisement: