News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Posts with multi-megabyte file attachments fail

Started by NotYetStravinsky, September 06, 2018, 07:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotYetStravinsky

I've taken over a forum from another user, copying the forum files from his GoDaddy space to mine. After tweaking some paths everything seems to be working except larger file uploads (I've been using a 4.x mb test file). Smaller files seem to work fine (test file was 161 kb). Another user has reported similar results.

IE shows a generic error page. Chrome reports ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

I've worked with GoDaddy on the problem, increasing timeout and max file size, along with a couple of other cPanel settings I forget, and as far as they can tell everything is fine at their end.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jamie

Shambles

You're using old technology - SMF series 1.1.* won't get much support now.

Upgrade to 2.0.15

NotYetStravinsky

Thanks for getting back to me. Not surprised there isn't a lot of support for 1.x but I took this over because no-one else would and have already spent waaay too much time on it. So not planning to upgrade and risk more problems to solve.

Thanks for the advice though. I'm sure you're correct but it doesn't fit my situation.

Kindred

If you do not upgrade, you will have more and more problems, including security - since 1.1.x has not received any of the last 3-5 security patches.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NotYetStravinsky

Thanks for the input, but as I've said, I've spent far too much time on this already. Security isn't a huge deal with this particular forum. If someone hackled it and deleted the whole thing including database I'd just upload again it the next day, perhaps minus a few posts - this isn't a terribly busy forum.

I'm sure you're right, but I just want to get it to a point where I can more or less walk away from admin stuff. This is a forum for composers to post their stuff for discussion and in the end if I can't get larger file uploads to work then I'll just have to require that people host their music elsewhere.

Thanks for getting back to me though. I appreciate the input.

Kindred

I don't think you understand, still. If you do not update, you can not just walk away, because the forum will stop working soon, since 1.1.x will has not received any updates to keep working on modern versions of php and MySQL.

Seriously.
Upgrade.

Now, for your issue...
When you moved, Did you use the repair_settings.php tool to correct all of your paths and URLs?

Have you checked the size setting for the maximum attachment size ?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

NotYetStravinsky

Quote from: Kindred on September 06, 2018, 09:50:43 PM
I don't think you understand, still. If you do not update, you can not just walk away, because the forum will stop working soon, since 1.1.x will has not received any updates to keep working on modern versions of php and MySQL.

Seriously.
Upgrade.

I don't mean walk away forever, just for the time being. :-)

Here's my situation: it has taken pretty much all my free time for three weeks to get this thing up and running. At the same time our entire yard (large) is being redone, so the place is full of landscapers and carpenters and arborists and materials delivery people all of whom need guidance of some sort pretty much every day. At the same time I'm about ten days away from a 5 week vacation that's been planned for over a year and we have much to do to finish preparing for that, besides nursing the yard reno. So I really have no more time to spend on this now.

So...today there is a functioning forum, and the issue I'm having affects perhaps 10-15% members. The rest host their music files on third-party services like Soundcloud. If I were to run the upgrader and it fails, well, I have no more time to spend on this now so there would be no forum, affecting 100% of the members. It's not like I'm not taking you people seriously, and your enthusiasm is impressive, but this just can't stay at the top of my list any more for now.

Quote from: Kindred on September 06, 2018, 09:50:43 PM
Now, for your issue...
When you moved, Did you use the repair_settings.php tool to correct all of your paths and URLs?

Have you checked the size setting for the maximum attachment size ?

settings.php got quite a lot of manual attention. repair_settings.php didn't appear to do much of anything, although I ran it couple of times early in the process ( with less than complete results) so it may have made some changes I missed not knowing the file until I decided I would have to do manual edits, at which point I learned :). I was assured by the previous admin the repair_settings would fix everything and when it didn't, I looked at the settings file and at the repair script and figured the settings file would be much quicker to learn - thus the manual changes.

I built one swebsite using php about 10+ years ago and have never worked in a Linux environment, so a bit of a learning curve here. :)

All of the paths for ordinary every day stuff work: note that uploading small files isn't a problem. The max attachment size , and all other like sizes are set to 0.

Thanks for replying. All info is good info.

NotYetStravinsky

Quote from: vbgamer45 on September 06, 2018, 10:26:52 PM
I have an article on increasing your PHP upload limits at hxxp:www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,3498.0.html [nonactive]

Thank you. I had a help session with a GoDaddy tech support person and we increased the max upload size to a gig (silly I know, but trying to rule out the obvious). I don't remember max post size going by though so I'll take a look at that.

Kindred

That's your problem then.
Over half of the paths and URLs are not stored in settings.php,  it in the database. That's why you need to use the correct tool.

If the tool was not working, then that demonstrates a much bigger problem with your system.... nd running the tool multiple times just indicates the same thing. You should only have to run it twice. Once to correct the database location and first set of paths nd the second time to correct all of the internal paths and URLs.
Слaва
Украинi

NotYetStravinsky

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2018, 07:22:57 AM
That's your problem then.
Over half of the paths and URLs are not stored in settings.php,  it in the database. That's why you need to use the correct tool.

If the tool was not working, then that demonstrates a much bigger problem with your system.... nd running the tool multiple times just indicates the same thing. You should only have to run it twice. Once to correct the database location and first set of paths nd the second time to correct all of the internal paths and URLs.

Thanks for replying. I did change a number of paths stored in the database using the admin tools provided in the forum UI. And again, this problem has only occurred with larger attachments, suggesting that the basic functionality is working correctly.

Update: Because of the sketchy the results I get when running tracert as part of investigating this problem, I asked other forum members to try uploading a large file to see if the operation would succeed for anyone. Only one member responded, but he was able to successfully upload and later access a 7mb file. So I'm outing this down to flaky network connections on my part and that of the member who originally reported the problem. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Advertisement: