News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Member can't post but is logged in

Started by DorsetDave, September 14, 2018, 05:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetDave

I am the Administrator of a Football club Forum and a member [one of the Director's no less] has sent me this message:-

"I can't seem to be able to post anything on the forum at present even when logged in. It comes up with an unable to post at this time message and to refer to you if it persists."

I can't seem to find a reason why so would appreciate help. Thanks

Pipke

"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Kindred

actually, with the error message reported (and the exact error message would be helpful), it is unlikely to be a permissions porblem.

DorsetDave, have you looked in the forum error log?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DorsetDave

Have found the error messages log relating to the member and have attached. Hope this is helpful. Thanks

Kindred

what content, exactly, is he trying to post?

It looks liek it contains control characters which could be rejected as a hack attempt
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DorsetDave

I will try and find out what they were trying to post. Thanks [P.S. What are control characters anyway]

shawnb61

Control characters represent things you can't normally view, such as carriage returns or other weird binary data.  One way to represent them is in hex, which looks a little like \xA3100.   

Which I don't recognize.  But it's used in collectables, a quick google of \xA3100 showed up this:
    http://www.stampcircuit.com/category/cigarette-cards

Which seems right up a sports forum's alley...   

What an unfortunate SKU numbering scheme for products!!!   Almost designed to cause websites trouble.   

Anyway, if he must post \xA3100 and it won't work, one thing to try is to select it & hit the "insert code" button above the editor window (the #). It will look like this \xA3100.

EDIT:  Interesting I don't have a problem posting it here...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

It's also important to know HOW he was posting it.  Copied from a website?  A document?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

DorsetDave

Thanks for the replies. My member has managed to post now and he states :-

"Thanks for your efforts Dave

It seems using the £ sign was the issue!"

I don't know much more than that but I know when members post and when they try to use the £ sign it comes up as a question mark instead. So I have to type out pds . Would like to know the reason for that for future reference. Thanks
[So I managed to type the £ sign in this Forum - but I can't do it in ours]

Illori

you need to convert to UTF-8 to do that on your forum. which may help with the issue the user is facing as well.

DorsetDave

Thanks for that. Would be grateful if you could give me an idiots guide as to how to convert to UTF-8 as havent a clue what that is or how to do it. Please bear in mind I am 77 yrs old. Just a thought but wondering why the Forum doesnt have the ability for us to use a £ sign anyway ?

Pipke

"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

DorsetDave

Thanks for that. I have now installed UTF-8 and we can now use the £ sign on our forum.

On the few times I have had a query I am very pleased I have managed to solve it by using this facility. Much appreciated. I will now click on the solved button

Advertisement: