News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

500 error and backward text output

Started by delta5, September 16, 2018, 08:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delta5

I just uninstalled a couple of mods, the SA twitter mod and the antibot mod and now when i try to get into the admin section, i get a 500 error page. Can you tell me how to fix?

Also, before i did that, in the past few weeks when people respond to a post, their text comes out backwards. I havnt seen this before. Any ideas?

Thx

-edit- Fixed title to be more informative/to the point.

LiroyvH

What does the error log (server one.) tell you about why the 500 error is being generated? That often answers the question and gives a big clue to the solution.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

delta5

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member delta5
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this IP address 97.68.95.163   
   Reverse chronological order of list Today at 08:38:10 PM
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this session 2490a4bf3e0b4d9d72e5048eebc2fe4b
Apply Filter: Only show the errors of this type Type of error: General
Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URLhttps://www.fedupwithliberals.com/index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc;start=0Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message8192: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Services_JSON_Error has a deprecated constructorApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/dlspl7k7drgr/public_html/Sources/Twitter/TwitterCompat.php
Line: 804
   Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this member delta5

Server error log is empty

Kindred

Looks like the mods did not actually uninstall.
I would bet that there were errors in the uninstallation which you ignored....

At this point, either restore the backup of your site from before you did the uninstall (both files and database, probably) or figure out the code that you missed
As for your server log...   if your server is not recording 500 errors, then You have something ste very wrong inyiur config.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

delta5

I have daily automatic backups on both site and database. How far back should i go? How do you reinsert the replacement database files?

Kindred

If you uninstalled today, then restore yesterday's backup

Restoring the database should be an option from the Cpanel (host, not smf)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

delta5

What would work better, (i have not done this yet) a new install with saved database or just use the backups?

Kindred

If yo don't care about the other mods that you have, just load a fresh set of files. Do not do a new install...  just a fresh set of files (see the faq)

Слaва
Украинi

delta5

Im afraid if i just do a total backup, my other problems will return.  not sure which way to go. I just dont want to lose all the posts on there.

Kindred

As long as you dont touch the database, you won't lose any posts
Слaва
Украинi

delta5

Ok then fresh files and saved database? i dont care about the mods, i can reinstall them in a few mins.

Kindred

Read the faq on how to load a fresh set of files
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Marking solved then. If you have any other questions regarding this topic, by all means, mark this unsolved and let us know. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

delta5

When I get back home, I'm going to attempt a fresh set of files with a saved database. What might be causing a person's typing to come out backwards?

delta5

Is it possible to do a new install, then replace the new database with an old backup?

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 10:08:23 AM
Is it possible to do a new install, then replace the new database with an old backup?

it's a lot easier to just upload a fresh set of files, did you try that ? if yes what problems are you still having ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

delta5

I'm getting ready to try. I'm just worried about deleting the wrong stuff or not deleting everything and then having an unstable forum.

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 10:27:10 AM
I'm getting ready to try. I'm just worried about deleting the wrong stuff or not deleting everything and then having an unstable forum.

Just follow the guide and if you have any problems after that just post here

take a backup of your forum before in case you wanna go back (which is unlikely)
And take notes of your database credentials in Settings.php
Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

Ok, I should upload the large 2.0.15 upgrade?

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 10:44:32 AM
Ok, I should upload the large 2.0.15 upgrade?

Download the large upgrade archive file for the exact version of SMF that you are using
Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

the archive page linked only goes up to 2.0.14. The main download page has 2.0.15.

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 11:39:08 AM
the archive page linked only goes up to 2.0.14. The main download page has 2.0.15.

yea, use that, make sure it's the large upgrade
Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

Ok i extracted the file to the directory, and reloaded my home page. it seems nothing happened. All modifications are still installed.

delta5

Ok i think i got it. i forgot to unzip the upgrade. Now its all back to virgin state. Just have to reinstall what mods i want to keep. Thanks for the help

I will let you know if i have any more probs.

SychO

Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

Illori

delta5

Ok, i uploaded  the fixed packages script. What would the path to it be so i can bring it up in my browser?

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 12:43:15 PM
Ok, i uploaded  the fixed packages script. What would the path to it be so i can bring it up in my browser?

upload it to your forum directory
yourforumlink/fix_packages.php
Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

Ok, i got to the page, i deleted all hooks. looks like a new install now. I will watch the error log for the old errors for a few hours. Learn something new today. Thanks guys! :)

delta5

My users are still getting the backwards text deal. How do i fix that?

Kindred

Only certain users get backwards text?
Only certain pages or every page?
Om;y speecific text on a page or all the text on the page?

and finally -- What do you mean exactly by "backwards text"
(screen shot?)

Can YOU duplicate the issue?
Слaва
Украинi

delta5

It doesnt happen every time. When posting a message sometimes the letters type out backwards. It has happened to me. I will try to grab a screen  pic.

Kindred

do you mean, they type Right to left or that the actual letters are backwards?
Слaва
Украинi

delta5

its like the whole thing is flipped over. cursor and everything. Im trying to duplicate it now.

delta5

my members are saying if they hit the reload button, it goes back to normal..

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 02:50:59 PM
my members are saying if they hit the reload button, it goes back to normal..

where do they reload, after posting in it, or on the editor page ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

Im asking, waiting for answers. Did it act up for you?

delta5

One user says he has to leave the site completely and then log back in. Still waiting on others to answer

SychO

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 03:45:07 PM
Im asking, waiting for answers. Did it act up for you?

nope, first time I see such an issue, I wonder if it's just a bad mod

Quote from: delta5 on September 20, 2018, 03:47:45 PM
One user says he has to leave the site completely and then log back in. Still waiting on others to answer

but does it happen only after he posts, or does it also appear in the preview
Checkout My Themes:
-

delta5

I just made 4 or 5 posts, and it didnt do it.

delta5

Another user just told me that when it does it while typing, she refreshes that page and then it is fine.

Kindred

honestly, it looks like a simple javascript reverse text script got applied....

However, I don't see anything immediately obvious as a suspect.

I see the issue in the linked post - but only on the first message in the thread.
refreshing the screen, even a hard refresh didn't work for me

(using Firefox 60.2.0ESR)
Слaва
Украинi

SychO

Checkout My Themes:
-

Illori

can you duplicate the issue on the default theme?

if you modify the post, what shows is it reversed or in the correct order?

delta5

I switched to the core curve theme, and its still doing it.

delta5

Update: I think we found the problem. It seems godaddy had my firewall DNS setting set incorrectly. Also we adjusted some cache settings. Seems to be fixed now. I'm trying out different cache settings and also adding the Admin setting pages to a cache bypass list.

GigaWatt

So, can this thread be marked as solved :)?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: