News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Are ads new here?

Started by landyvlad, September 20, 2018, 04:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiroyvH

Quote from: skb on September 22, 2018, 03:36:30 AM
I have the same problem on our forum. And I keep seeing ads for dates with Russian / Ukranian ladies wherever I go (here as well). I know the ads are "targeted" but I have never searched for that kinda content for as long as I can remember.

Oh those algorithms don't necessarily look at what *you* searched for. It's far more complex.
If you could screenshot that advertisement and right-click it (copy the link), and then send all that over to me would be great, then I can block it here. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Antechinus on September 23, 2018, 01:32:21 AM
That setting blocks Google ads for me (Pale Moon or Firefox). The container element for them will display, but there's nothing inside it. Dunno how it would be on IE because I never use it.

Hmm, think you're correct.  If I turn off IE tracking protection, looks the same, just empty containers.  No ads here or at nytimes.com.  I have first and third party cookies blocked, only session cookies are allowed.  nytimes.com is whitelisted to allow cookies, sm.org is not.  Don't know why they work the same with different settings, or if whitelisting applies to both first and third party cookies.  Will have to play with it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

skb

Quote from: CoreISP on September 24, 2018, 10:52:55 AM
Oh those algorithms don't necessarily look at what *you* searched for. It's far more complex.
If you could screenshot that advertisement and right-click it (copy the link), and then send all that over to me would be great, then I can block it here. :)

Sure. Next time I see that ad, I will send it to you. But they seem to have been blocked for the past couple of days.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Shambles

^ I see her regularly.

As an advert on here, silly, not in real life ;)

LiroyvH

Thanks! :) I'll get that removed :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

landyvlad

Sorry, forgot this thread.

Quote from: Dzonny on September 20, 2018, 07:12:07 AM
Btw, when you're talking about ads, you think about one ad position under the "Advertisement" in the header, right?

Yeah, usually just the one.

May well have been the third party cookie issue.  Cheers.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: