News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Show new replies to your posts bug. Crashes when none to display.

Started by Yikesfactor, September 21, 2018, 12:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

there is no code fix needed. it works perfectly well on hundreds of other sites...   it has something to do with your host's specific (mis)configuration.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yikesfactor

Quote from: Kindred on September 23, 2018, 06:11:49 PM
there is no code fix needed. it works perfectly well on hundreds of other sites...   it has something to do with your host's specific (mis)configuration.

Can you please explain that in terms the host will understand, including why it's not just a change to for my domain, and why it should be applied to the whole server.

They wont look here, and unless I can show them something they will understand, they wont make that change.

Is there anything I can change in my Cpanel to do this?
Version 2.0.15

Used phpBB before, new to SMF.

I know enough to be dangerous.
Breaking things is my specialty.

Kindred

I don't know...   all I know is that it works on every (or at least almost every) other installation... which indicates that the core issue has something  to do with your host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yikesfactor

Version 2.0.15

shawnb61

It appears your host has "strict mode" enabled in mysql.  With strict mode enabled, certain queries don't work.   SMF 2.0.x doesn't yet fully support strict mode.

Ask them to disable strict mode for you.  They didn't like setting the mode to blanks...  Maybe you'll get further asking them to disable strict mode.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Yikesfactor

Quote from: shawnb61 on September 24, 2018, 12:48:18 AM
It appears your host has "strict mode" enabled in mysql.  With strict mode enabled, certain queries don't work.   SMF 2.0.x doesn't yet fully support strict mode.

Ask them to disable strict mode for you.  They didn't like setting the mode to blanks...  Maybe you'll get further asking them to disable strict mode.

Thanks. Suggested it.
Version 2.0.15

Yikesfactor

Quote from: shawnb61 on September 24, 2018, 12:48:18 AM

They did the change, but ti made no difference.

In the meantime, I've edited out the display of the text for the link, so it cant be clicked on any more.
Version 2.0.15

GigaWatt

Since the forum is new, could you try and put the forum on a free host and see if the same error is generated? The only thing you'd require is the forum's files, the database and repair_settings.php. You don't have to transfer your domain, you could use a temporary domain (a subdomain from the free hosting service perhaps ;)).

This way, if the error doesn't appear, you could show your host that there is actually something wrong with their server. if the error does appear, then we at least ruled out server misconfiguration ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Yikesfactor

Quote from: GigaWatt on September 24, 2018, 10:25:40 PM
Since the forum is new, could you try and put the forum on a free host and see if the same error is generated? The only thing you'd require is the forum's files, the database and repair_settings.php. You don't have to transfer your domain, you could use a temporary domain (a subdomain from the free hosting service perhaps ;)).

This way, if the error doesn't appear, you could show your host that there is actually something wrong with their server. if the error does appear, then we at least ruled out server misconfiguration ;).

That's an interesting option. Not having used the before, can you link me to one?

Forum is down again, getting 500 errors apparently, or at least that's what people say before it died completely.

Everything is there and seems to be ok, but all we get is a blank screen when accessing the domain.

Advised vodahost support, but no response yet. 5 hours down and counting. Most like the server is totally overloaded by 50 people online at any time. And I guess they dont care.  :(

Doesn't appear to be anything I can do.
Version 2.0.15

Sir Osis of Liver

You can move to a better host.  Could have done that many times with the effort you've put into this.  Only thing you need is a good database dump, everything else can be set up from scratch.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Yikesfactor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 24, 2018, 10:39:31 PM
You can move to a better host.  Could have done that many times with the effort you've put into this.  Only thing you need is a good database dump, everything else can be set up from scratch.

I've got a complete copy of everything this time.

My problem is being in Australia, and not having a clue about who the reliable hosts are these days. I dont trust any of them in Australia at all, and the pipe to Australia is too slow anyway. Which is why I've been with Vodahost all these years. They must have been taken over or something, as back in the day, they did more than just shared servers, and now they dont.

I'm exploring options, but feeling so frustrated at the moment.

I'm sorry I'm being such a total pain with you guys, and appreciate your help, even if I dont understand half of it.
Version 2.0.15

Sir Osis of Liver

Doesn't matter where you are geographically, you can sign up with any host anywhere.  One of my regulars runs multiple forums from Australia on GoDaddy (:P), which is US based.  I've been using Crocweb, based in Montreal, for 2-3 years, after 20 years with same host that went down the crapper.  They're very good, inexpensive, support is excellent.  You can get other recommendation in hosting board.

- R. Waters

Yikesfactor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 24, 2018, 10:56:12 PM
Doesn't matter where you are geographically, you can sign up with any host anywhere.  One of my regulars runs multiple forums from Australia on GoDaddy (:P), which is US based.  I've been using Crocweb, based in Montreal, for 2-3 years, after 20 years with same host that went down the crapper.  They're very good, inexpensive, support is excellent.  You can get other recommendation in hosting board.

I looked at the hosting board yesterday, but all the threads are so way out of date now, they no longer recommend themselves.

Bookmarked Crocweb, thanks.

GoDaddy I wont touch at all. I had dealings with their Aussie end, and never again!
Version 2.0.15

GigaWatt

Quote from: Yikesfactor on September 24, 2018, 10:33:38 PM
That's an interesting option. Not having used the before, can you link me to one?

I currently use this one.

https://wwhost.ga/

It has cPanel access, 2GB of hosting space (including database), 50GB monthly bandwidth and you can set up to 5 databases with a free account ;).

Quote from: Yikesfactor on September 24, 2018, 10:46:55 PM
My problem is being in Australia, and not having a clue about who the reliable hosts are these days. I dont trust any of them in Australia at all, and the pipe to Australia is too slow anyway. Which is why I've been with Vodahost all these years. They must have been taken over or something, as back in the day, they did more than just shared servers, and now they dont.

I currently use 1and1 as my paid hosting provider. Don't have much to complain about, except not having cPanel, LOL :D. Other than that, they're pretty good ;), haven't had any down time since I started using them (about 6 or 7months ago). You could check my board (it's in my profile ;)).

https://www.1and1.com/web-hosting

If your forum is not too buys, I'd go for the Basic plan ;). It's $0.99 per month for the first year ;).

Quote from: Yikesfactor on September 24, 2018, 11:05:54 PM
GoDaddy I wont touch at all. I had dealings with their Aussie end, and never again!

Smart move ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Yeah, GoDaddy is pretty bad.  A lot of SMF forums run on GD because they feature the software at top of their cpanel.  I've moved several forums from GD to Crocweb.  You can contact Croc before signing up, explain your situation, ask questions.  They'll move pretty much everything for you.  Tell them thekrash sent you.

- R. Waters

Yikesfactor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on September 24, 2018, 11:13:34 PM
Yeah, GoDaddy is pretty bad.  A lot of SMF forums run on GD because they feature the software at top of their cpanel.  I've moved several forums from GD to Crocweb.  You can contact Croc before signing up, explain your situation, ask questions.  They'll move pretty much everything for you.  Tell them thekrash sent you.

Thanks for that. :)

Quote from: GigaWatt on September 24, 2018, 11:12:57 PM
I currently use this one.

https://wwhost.ga/

It has cPanel access, 2GB of hosting space (including database), 50GB monthly bandwidth and you can set up to 5 databases with a free account ;).

Thanks.
Version 2.0.15

Advertisement: