News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

question mark appearing instead of commas and apostraphe

Started by chelseaphil, September 21, 2018, 04:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelseaphil

About a week ago I noticed that commas, $ sign, %, and apostrophes were being replaced with a ? mark. It is on all browsers. Anyone any idea how to fix it? Thanks Using 1.1.21

Sir Osis of Liver

- Convert your database to utf-8.

- Upgrade to current version.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

There is no UTF-8 converter tool for 1.1.x as far as I'm aware. Yes, you could do it manually though.

And yes, definitely upgrade. Support for the 1.1.x branch has been suspended, it's been deemed EOL (End Of Life).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't have a 1.1 install, but you can change collation in phpmyadmin (one table at a time), didn't work last time I tried it.  Best bet is to upgrade, then run 2.0 utf8 conversion.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

chelseaphil

I have been intending upgrading for sometime. But it is a big forum and popular with over a million page views per month. So would need closing for 24hours. Seems that is the way to go. Thanks folks.

Kindred

why 24 hours?

The only time it took me that long to upgrade was on a site that had well over 2 million posts
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

@chelseaphil: If you suspect there will be problems during the upgrade procedure, you can do the upgrade in a separate subdirectory or a separate subdomain linked to a directory in your webspace and try to do the upgrade from there ;). If everything goes as expected, great, you can apply the same to your main forum ;). If not, you can always ask here for help and get everything sorted until you get the upgrade procedure just right and apply that on your production forum ;).

Advertisement: