News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Member View Switching - Firewall? CDN? Cache?

Started by 406Northlane, September 21, 2018, 09:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

406Northlane

OK... tough to describe situation here that I'll try my best to describe.

Our forum was down for the majority of the day yesterday. One of our database tables got corrupted and has since been fixed.

We installed a firewall / CDN (at the server level) to keep out spammers.

The problem now is when I login and bump around the forums I'm being represented as a different USER as I jump around.

Example, I login it says "welcome Chewie" which is me. I can see all appropriate threads (I'm an admin), PMs, etc.

Then I click on HOME (which takes me to /index.php) and it says "Hello cbird65" (a mod). When I see this, I notice that ADMIN only forums are no longer visible.

If I remove the /index.php from the URL bar and just go directly to my forum home page (forum.killthecan.org) it says "Hello gdubya" (a regular member). All Mod / Admin threads are not visible.

When I click on /index.php?action=profile I'm back to cbird, when I click on My Message I'm seeing (presumably his messages) and I can read those PMs.

Click on calendar and I'm back to Chewie.

Something going on with my firewall? Caching? CDN? Do those products not play nicely with this software?

vbgamer45

It would either be caching/cdn.  Depending on the setup.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

406Northlane

When I click on logout, I get this message:

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again. and I am NOT logged out.

Illori

do you know exactly what was installed? please let us know and we can tell you better what the cause is.

406Northlane

https://www.secureserver.net/products/website-security?plid=479157 [nofollow] is the product that I installed. I've got it turned off currently and things seem to be OK.

406Northlane

Illori

that does not tell us what they actually did install.

GigaWatt

And even if it did, it's a server issue.

Try disabling any caching the firewall has (if it has any caching options, which I doubt from commercial products).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

HDB

The below linked thread discussed this problem and the issue was that the host had a cache system called Varnish that was causing the problem.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=553551.0

GigaWatt

Didn't even think about Varnish cache.

@406Northlane: Ask your host to disable any caching on your server (account, if you're on a shared hosting plan) and see if that resolves the problem ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: