News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I have an old version of SMF and upgrades aren't working.

Started by delahoc, September 23, 2018, 09:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delahoc

I had a forum using v1.0.16. When it recently died (PHP deprecation issue) I tried to upgrade to v1.0.17 with a view to continuing to upgrade until I got a working version. Bad idea. Even the upgrade to v1.0.17 is dead, so now I'm stuck with a mixture of files and no working forum.

Is there a way to skip multiple versions? That is, is there a converter to take an old version of SMF and update it to one of the shiny new versions?

I'm desperate. If I can't find a solution I'm just going to either shut the whole thing down or start again from scratch (meaning everything so far is lost).

vbgamer45

Can you downgrade your php version to 5.4? then try the 1.1.x upgrade in cpanel?
I
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

delahoc

I can downgrade the PHP version easily enough, but the forum doesn't appear in the cPanel list of installations. It was installed manually (copied from a previous server), not via cPanel.

Sir Osis of Liver

You don't do upgrades in cpanel.  If you downgrade php to 5.4, you should be able to patch to 1.1.21, then upgrade php to 5.6, and upgrade forum to 2.0.15 using upgrade package via ftp.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: delahoc on September 23, 2018, 09:34:59 PM
Is there a way to skip multiple versions? That is, is there a converter to take an old version of SMF and update it to one of the shiny new versions?
Upgrading SMF
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

delahoc

Thanks Sir Osis. I was replying to vbgamer45 who clearly suggested upgrading in cPanel.

As I originally said, I was upgrading manually, through the patches, but it died on the very first attempt. I manually uploaded all the v1.0.17 files from the patch zip file, then went to run the upgrade.php. It died saying I had outdated language files .... I'd much rather just jump straight to the latest possible version, rather than run 20 patch updates ... I'll try your suggestion of jumping ahead to v1.1.21.

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you really running 1.0.16?  Thought that was a typo for 1.1.16.  Believe I've upgraded one 1.0.x forum to 2.0.15, but it takes some doing.  You have to upgrade in steps, and play with php versions along the way.  You can try upping to 1.1.21 in php 5.4 with upgrade package, but don't think it will work.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: delahoc on September 24, 2018, 12:37:28 AM
I'd much rather just jump straight to the latest possible version, rather than run 20 patch updates ... I'll try your suggestion of jumping ahead to v1.1.21.
Take a look at the link I gave you, that is what it is for.
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 24, 2018, 12:07:56 AM
Quote from: delahoc on September 23, 2018, 09:34:59 PM
Upgrading SMF
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

delahoc

Yes, thanks Aleksi, I did see it and I've been following it as best I can (it's not all that clearly written). I have managed to get the installation up to v1.1 now, but it wasn't easy and took hours. The data all seems to have survived, but just about every step of the installation presented either PHP or SQL errors (mostly SQL now).

Antechinus

If you've managed to get it working on 1.1.x (I assume 1.1.21) then going the rest of the way to 2.0.15 should be pretty easy. The 2.0.15 large upgrade pack is designed for the job.

Is the thing running without errors on 1.1.x now?

Sir Osis of Liver

The older upgrade scripts will not run correctly on some server configurations, you need to be sure database is intact before proceeding to next step.  If you had a lot of errors, db may be damaged.  Which 1.1 version are you at now?  Which php version did you use to run the upgrade?

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Sir Osis of Liver is right, the database might not be fully converted or it may be damaged. Check and see if everything in the database survived.

Also, did you empty out the error log before doing the upgrade?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: