News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

User cant log in after board terminated

Started by Yikesfactor, September 25, 2018, 04:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yikesfactor

So the next in my long line of sagas, some idiot at my host changed the php version up to 1 higher than 2.0 is rated for, and it was like the forum was turned off. Suddenly no php database access.

Now, turned back to 5.6, forum is ok, but  user cant get in.

QuoteI get the message "Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again." when I try to log in, both from the front page and the login page. I have cleared my cache and tried both Chrome and Internet Explorer, so I think I might have gotten caught in some security filter by accident. As I haven't been logged in at all prior to the problem appearing, I doubt I have been able to do anything to trigger it myself  ;D

Any ideas on what I  need to do? (besides change hosts)
Version 2.0.15

Used phpBB before, new to SMF.

I know enough to be dangerous.
Breaking things is my specialty.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Sir Osis of Liver

That wouldn't affect login window, he's running Curve and both logins error out. 

You really need to move to another host.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Yikesfactor

Turns out the workaround is easy.

You get people to click on a link to another place on the forum, such as a board address. Whatever is wrong gets bypassed, and then reset.

Posted by a user, and it worked for everyone with the problem.
Version 2.0.15

Used phpBB before, new to SMF.

I know enough to be dangerous.
Breaking things is my specialty.

Kindred

Ah. then you problem is almost certainly your htaccess file.

I would bet that your site is www and the people are accessing it, the first time, from not-www (or vice versa) and you don't have a proper redirect in htaccess

or, the same thing with .com versus .org if your site technically has multiple tlds
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

.htaccess

#Force non-www:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.writersanctum\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://writersanctum.com/$1 [L,R=301]

Believe that's correct.

- R. Waters

Kindred

something's not working with that....
and something has broken the SMF autobounce which should be doing something along the same lines.

going to www.writersanctum.com
does **NOT** autobounce me to https://writersanctum.com/
and, clicking login gets me the session timeout error.
clicking login again gets me the correct error (you must enter a username)

So, that's your problem....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

This seems to depend on server config.  Some servers don't care if it's www or non-www (mine doesn't), but some do.  The .htaccess code I posted should fix it (recently used it on another forum).

- R. Waters

Kindred

Whatever you might think... this is definitely the problem. I can reproduce it 100% of the time by using www instead of not wwww
Слaва
Украинi

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm not disagreeing, I've replicated the problem same as you.  AFAIK he hasn't added the .htaccess.  Don't believe there's any other way to fix it, short of reconfiguring the server.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Some server control panels have settings for the default url format, per domain, and if yours has one I would suggest trying to use that before anything else and then make sure SMF's settings are in line with that setting. If you can not find a setting like that, only then try if you can work with a htaccess -file to do the same.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

My host has a dns zone editor in cpanel, never used it, but looks like it serves this purpose in a complicated way.  Don't recall seeing it in any client cpanels, and don't have access to op's cpanel, so don't know if he has a similar feature.  Don't see anything in my cp that would set default url.  .htaccess will fix the problem, I've used it elsewhere.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Plesk has a very simple setting for that, so do some other panels I have seen. cPanel while popular, is not the only control panel out there. ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: