How do you atach a pdf in a post ?

Started by DorsetDave, September 26, 2018, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetDave

I have a member who wants to put a pdf of a form into a post. Would be grateful for an idiot proof explanation of how this can be done. Could it be downloaded by everyone or just those that are logged on. Have tried to find out without bothering people but can't seem to find it. Thanks

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

They're attached same as an image.  pdf must be an allowed extension in attachment settings (believe it is by default).  If you want guests or any specific membergroup to be able to view/download attachments, you must check view attachments in permissions (not a default permission for guests).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

DorsetDave

Thanks for the replies so far. My member tried to post and this is his message " Thanks Dave, but tried again from home computer and same error message come up - Cannot access attachments upload path! - tried both as a pdf and word doc but no joy....

Illori

do you get the same message when you try to upload an attachment? if so that means your attachments path is incorrect. you can use What is repair_settings.php? to fix it.

DorsetDave

Thanks for that.

You know I am a 77 yr old who didnt grow up with computers. I agreed to take over as being the Administrator of a Football Club Forum when nobody else would do it. Little did I realise I would have to have a degree in Computer Science in order to run it!

I get that you say the attachments path is incorrect. If I am to repair this I really need a user friendly explanation of what to do.The various terms such as '...FTP client to the root directory...' and ' direct your browser to
yoursitename/repair_settings.php. '
Not to mention 'if your forum is in the root directory of your site,'  etc etc etc None of this has the slightest meaning to me and might as well be in Arabic.

I can't see why this is all necessary when surely just having the correct version installed should suffice. It seems to me that , to use an analogy, computing is still in the days of the Model-T Ford.

So a simple, straightforward, idiot proof list of things I need to do would be appreciated. For instance I did click on the repair thing and it downloaded to my laptop - but where do i go from there ?  So if you can provide a sequence running list of what I have to do I would be grateful. Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have repair_settings.php on your laptop, upload it to forum root via ftp or cpanel file manager.  Then run it with direct link, i.e. www.yourforum.com/repair_settings.php.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

FTP is short for File Transfer Protocol. It's just that, a protocol for transferring files from one place to another. For example, from your PC to your webspace. The files the script (the forum) runs have to reside somewhere physically. That's your webspace. That's a directory on some server with a certain path to that directory. For you, as a user (client), that's the root of your webspace, because you can't go any higher in the directory tree of the server (you don't have permissions).

So, the first thing that you need to do is set up an FTP account on your server. You can do this via your web UI (User Interface) (there are many, most popular nowadays is cPanel, though your host might have a different one or a custom one)... we can't know for sure unless we see a screenshot (make sure you blur all of your private details from the screenshot). Once you've got the FTP account set up on your host, you have to enter the adequate credentials in your client (the ones you configured on your host). An FTP client is a program that enables you to transfer the files from one place to another (in this example, from your PC to your web host). One of the most popular ones is FileZilla. Download FileZilla and install it on your computer. Fire it up and enter the details you configured in your web UI. Most FTP clients will need these details:

1) Host/IP/URL: This is either an IP address or a domain (URL, like someftpsite.com). It should be visible either during the configuration of the FTP account or after.

2) Username: You have to make one up while you're configuring the FTP account in your web UI.

3) Password: Also configurable when you're creating the FTP account. Make sure you enter at least 8 characters (preferably, mix letters and numbers).

4) Protocol: It can either be plain FTP or one of many secure (encrypted) protocols derived from the original protocol. FTP is so old it doesn't have encryption settings. In any case, the protocol type has to match the one selected in the FTP client and the one the FTP account has. In many cases, the protocol is preselected (non-configurable) by your web host, so it'll just state the protocol your FTP account will be using. Make sure you select the same one in your FTP client.

5) Port: This one is protocol dependent. In any case, if it's not stated in your web UI which port to use, try using either 21 or 22. In most cases, the client will connect with one of those two ;).

Once you're connected to your FTP account via your FTP client, you have to find the forum root. This is the place where your forum files (the forum script) resides. Browse through the folders in your web space, in one of them you're bound to run into Settings.php and Settings_bak.php. Once you locate these files, this directory is your forum root. Drag and drop repair_settings.php in this directory (via your FTP client of course). Now, in your web browser type your forum's URL (your forum's web address, http://yourforumurl.com) and add /repair_settings.php at the end of it, so the entire web address looks like this: http://yourforumurl.com/repair_settings.php. Afterwards, hit Enter.

Get this done, and we'll continue from there ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

DorsetDave

I can see that several people here have put a lot of work in to help me and I appreciate that. I don't feel very confident that I can get the attachments bit working. My worry is that I might mess up the whole Forum in doing it. I am considering whether to pay an IT expert to sort it out for me , even considering I am a volunteer Administrator.

The irony is that [ looking back] I realised I myself have put attachments on the Forum in the past - but its not working now and I don't understand why not - or why it shouldnt be as I've not disturbed the internal workings of the Forum.

But thanks to all anyway

a10

While preparing\working to fix the forum, possible solution is to ask members to upload files to a cloud service \ file hosting service, example http://www.tinyupload.com/ and similar, a cloud overview > https://www.networkworld.com/article/2932962/cloud-storage/19-free-cloud-storage-options.html

Then simply post a link to the file in forum post.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Illori

if files are not uploaded to the forum itself, it is possible a 3rd party can delete them without notice.

a10

^^^ Yes, am not allowing external hosting on my forum. But as a temporary fix until some problems are sorted it's useful.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

DorsetDave

Thanks for the external link that members can use whilst I try and fix it.

I got to Download New Packages but couldnt upload the repair file as it said Package Manager currently only allows these file types zip,tgz,tar.gz

So back to square 1

Illori

you dont use the package manager to upload it, you need to upload it via FTP or your hosts file manager in the control panel.

DorsetDave

OK - Dumbo here again.

The Forum is attached to the main Football Club website. Is this what you mean by Host? Do I have to go back to the IT people for the main website - is that what you mean? as I have no control over that.  Thanks

a10

^^^ Host is where all the files are stored and made accesible on the internet, and usually paid for year by year by the owner of the domain name.

Enter your domain name here and you'll get some useful info: http://whois.domaintools.com/

Probably (hopefully) you'll see the hosting site webaddress, to contact and get important info & help.

njtweb

Hi Dave, I'm in the same boat with you when it comes to script issues and fixing problems. I make it easy on myself and hire somebody here. There are a lot of experts who can help fix the issue for a small fee. Just post here https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0 and prefix your problem with [PAID]. I would suggest starting with $25. It's the easiest way to avoid the headaches, possibly screwing other things up and getting the job done quickly and correctly.

Sir Osis of Liver

@DorsetDave - If you pm admin and ftp access (server/user/pw) I'll have a look tonight.  I've worked on several football forums, wondering if yours is one of them.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: