News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Help Preventing Spam

Started by ponsukeen, September 27, 2018, 09:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponsukeen

I am using SMF and the custom Avare Mu theme.  Every day, I am getting constant spam from bots.  I looked at installing an anti-spam modification, but simple installs are only for the default theme.   Therefore, it seems that I need to do manual coding.  A few questions:

1.  Does the manual coding apply to all custom themes, or do different themes require different coding?
2.  Is there a recommended security modification that others are having success with in preventing spam in their forum?
3.  Has anyone successfully installed an anti-bot mod to the Avare Mu theme?

Thank you for your help

Kindred

first and foremost - UPGRADE to 2.0.15
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

About the spam, try setting up your registration questions using this questionnaire template ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Illori

Quote from: GigaWatt on September 27, 2018, 07:56:37 PM
About the spam, try setting up your registration questions using this questionnaire template ;).

actually the OP cant do that unless they upgrade to SMF 2.0 first as SMF 1.1 does not have the questions built in.

GigaWatt

Yeah, just saw that this is posted in the 1.1 support board.

@ponsukeen: You need to upgrade ASAP. You're really behind on security fixes.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

ponsukeen

Advertisement: