Permissions, want to transfer all users to another membergroup and more...

Started by richardwbb, October 03, 2018, 05:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

Hi there, I've been notified by a user that he couldn't reply or start a new topic in a board. It appeared to be true and while I fixed that, I have some questions about permissions.

Somehow there are two similar groups, one has 466 members and doesn't grow, the other has 182 members and does grow when a user registers, I wasn't able to figure out why so.

My first question, is it possible to transfer all users to another member group?
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Looking

Unless you do it manually you will need to do with a query from the database.

Kindred

the only groups which will "grow" automatically are the "regular members" (which is basically a catchall for any member without an assigned primary group) and the post-count-based groups.

If you have a different group with is growing automatically, then you must be using some sort of mod to automatcially assign new members into a group.  Check with the mod author
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

richardwbb

@Looking Would you help me if I get to the point where I find out, putting those two groups to one, will save me a lot of mouseclicking?

@Kindred I am pretty sure it isn't a mod, is it possible it is a mod that has been removed? The thing is, 'Forum Member' has to start one topic in the board 'introduction', and as I wrote I seem to have one group with 466 members and the other group is currently at 182, but when I view the 466 members list, their registration dates are ancient while the 182 group has all the recent registrations.

This are my mods

1.    Country Flags    3.0
2.    Default Avatar    2.3
3.    Hide Signatures from Guests    2.0
4.    Integration Hooks Report    1.5.3
5.    NoFollow All Links    1.2.1
6.    No Temp Directory Removal    1.1.8
7.    Ohara YouTube Embed    1.2.9
8.    Sorted Package Manager Listing    1.2
9.    Pretty URLs    1.1.3
10.    Remove Re From Post Title    1.0
11.    Remove Help From Menu    1.0
12.    Threads Participated In    1.0
13.    Users Online Today    2.1
14.    Bakers Dozen Pages    1.2
15.    FancyBox 4 SMF    0.5.1
16.    Hide Info Center From Guests    1.0
17.    Invitation Message In Your Face (IMIYF)    0.3.2
18.    Set order for sticky topics    0.5
19.    reCAPTCHA for SMF    1.0.0
20.    SMF 2.0.15 Update    1.0
21.    Spiders Don't Increase Topic Views
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Looking

Quote@Looking Would you help me if I get to the point where I find out, putting those two groups to one, will save me a lot of mouseclicking?
Feel free to contact me.

richardwbb

@Looking Thanks! Will do.

@Kindred I noticed my message wasn't clear. I have two groups, literally 'Forum Member' (182) and 'Forum member' (466) and because Looking answered it requires a database query I do have my second question.

Can I delete permission profiles that have zero members similar to board profiles?

The reason I ask, I wonder what the check boxes are meant for? I ask this because I can delete board profiles that are not used by any board and I have permission profiles that aren't used by any user, please see my image.

richardwbb

I think I have figured it out Kindred, I must be mistaken that one group is always 466 and the other is counting upwards. In index.php?action=admin;area=membergroups I see 'post related membergroups' (all the way down). It is saying that Newbie's that do a single post become regular member, but, for some reason (I believe it was just a single board for my forum), they need to have 25 posts, as a form of lurking protection.

My question still stands, what are those checkboxes meant for?

I also learned something I have overlooked for a long time, it can really tidy up permissions, to let membergroups inherit permissions from, in my case, regular members. This way they still have their own 'image that is put under their username', which in my case is just a plate, that users can tell who is a regular member and who is a contributing member or even a partner of a contributing member.

@Looking I should investigate where I've put that 25 post count rule, there is no need for a database query any longer, I know I've installed this rule somewhere.

GigaWatt

Quote from: richardwbb on October 03, 2018, 07:59:42 PM
My question still stands, what are those checkboxes meant for?

You must've installed a mod that accidentally removed one or two buttons (depending if you've added other profiles or not). Here's how that page is supposed to look like.

Though, I have to admit that it is kind of peculiar that I can't tick any of the profiles and remove them ???. It's basically the same in another test board that I've set up.

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

no, Giga... you're looking at a different screen.

Those checkboxes in the OP's question are relating to the selections boxes below... the ones that let you copy or mass apply permissions settings to multiple groups at once.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

richardwbb

Yeah I could even delete the standard permissions that come with the forum itself, but of course I leave those alone.

I'm getting it now, when selecting all checkboxes with the top check box, I could add a specific permission to all groups. I noted that guests didn't get all the permissions but the higher level users did.

That is very helpful to save yourself a lot of mouseclicks. It might be not so helpful if one isn't 100% sure of what is going to happen and I still don't feel I understand in full how SMF permissions work (will fiddle in a fresh forum next time before asking), but my question is answered. Only this topic's subject isn't telling people what happened in this topic.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on October 06, 2018, 12:56:08 AM
no, Giga... you're looking at a different screen.

Oh, yeah, sorry :P. I couldn't really tell, since the menu was not in English :P.

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: