News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Lots of new topics and members, but no responders!

Started by brettuk, October 09, 2018, 10:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettuk

Hi all,

I'm starting to have a very good issue on my forum, in which I'm not sure how to tackle.

My forum ranks in Google and is starting to generate organic traffic, however, people are signing up and speaking about their problems, but no-one is replying to them. I am very reliant on getting back and helping these people, but I need to some-how encourage people to help others.

Is there any plugin out there that requires users to respond/reply to at least one post before making their own first thread?

Cheers!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I would not suggest doing that, as it might just end up with your forum going silent completely, but if you do want to do it - no need for plugins.

You can set permissions through post count groups, and make additional post count groups so that newbies with 0 posts can only reply, then after 1 post they can create topics, and so on.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Looking

You can probably create that effect with group permissions and promotions. First group can only reply and then when promoted they can start new.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Please, let me know which of your topics on the issue you wish to keep - and I will merge them.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 09, 2018, 10:33:03 AM
I would not suggest doing that, as it might just end up with your forum going silent completely, but if you do want to do it - no need for plugins.

Hmmm... might be a goo idea to announce it in a topic first or maybe have a poll, see how the users react to this ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

brettuk

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As you skipped my question, I have now merged the topics outside the mod requests -board, because this does not warrant a mod as I can see.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

I have sigs blocked.  Looking at your forum, it is kind of unusual.  A lot of legit members, on-topic posts, very little discussion.  Only thing comes to mind is first replies are usually by male member (is that you?), that may be off-putting for female members, and possibly male posters as well.  In my limited experience with this type of forum, I think most women, and many men, would prefer to discuss relationship issues with women.  I've done some work on this forum, been around a long time, always a lot of active topics.  Might pay to register there, have a look around, speak to one of the mods, maybe trade links with them.

- R. Waters

brettuk

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on October 10, 2018, 12:11:48 PM
I have sigs blocked.  Looking at your forum, it is kind of unusual.  A lot of legit members, on-topic posts, very little discussion.  Only thing comes to mind is first replies are usually by male member (is that you?), that may be off-putting for female members, and possibly male posters as well.  In my limited experience with this type of forum, I think most women, and many men, would prefer to discuss relationship issues with women.  I've done some work on this forum, been around a long time, always a lot of active topics.  Might pay to register there, have a look around, speak to one of the mods, maybe trade links with them.

Yep, that's me. I tend to use that account to respond to people (as no-one responds, only posts).
I'll try with a female looking account next time .. :)

You have a lot of members, what approach did you take to grow this?

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not my forum, one of my regulars.  Been around a while, they have a website and blog, a subscription area, and offer various forms of mentoring and counseling.  Don't know if they do any promotional stuff, where their traffic comes from.  You could register there and ask someone.  The woman who runs the forum is Rollercoasterider, she's registered her as PenelopeQ.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: brettuk on October 10, 2018, 02:26:22 PM
I'll try with a female looking account next time .. :)

I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspenders and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa.
            - The Lumberjack Song

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

It actually isn't that hard to pretend to be a woman ;). I've tried it before fooling around on IRC, didn't find it really difficult... and I have to add that I was really convincing 8).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Kindred

So you are going to engage in deception on a forum where you want people to be honest?

Yeah, that's a good plan (not).

Also, Giga... you'd be surprised. Many people clue in pretty fast, they often just don't care enough to say.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on October 11, 2018, 07:57:03 AM
Also, Giga... you'd be surprised. Many people clue in pretty fast, they often just don't care enough to say.

Yeah... that's why 5 out of 7 waited at the agreed meeting place at 5 AM on a Sunday :D.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's your average man on the internet there, horny enough to fall for anything. Why else would all FB fakes thrive so...?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

brettuk

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 09, 2018, 10:33:03 AM

You can set permissions through post count groups, and make additional post count groups so that newbies with 0 posts can only reply, then after 1 post they can create topics, and so on.

Thanks but how do I change the permissions of post count groups?

I have it set to 'No - Unique Permissions' - but where are these unique permissions?

If I'm right in saying, if I want to have this functionality then the user will need to not be a regular member, correct?

brettuk

Ah, done it.

Moving forward, in order to post your first thread then you need to reply to someone else's post (I have also created a warning that shows to newb members with 0 posts in the header).

Let's hope this helps!

Sir Osis of Liver

No, it won't help, more likely it will turn members away.

Rather than masquerading as a female, just create a genderless profile like you have here.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Sir Osis of Liver is right. See brettuk, this works on professional forums, not on forums about general talk like yours. There is an incentive to be a contributing member on professional forums, not so much on a forum like yours. Sure, I like the idea for your forum, but I for one will definitely never log on your forum again. There are hundreds of others just like yours, not to mention FB groups. There aren't that many professional forums that might deal with what I would like to learn and/or share, so I'll try and respect the rules.

Though, this could have one positive effect: at least you'll find out which new members are serious and would like to stick around ;).

Advertisement: