News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Odd error msg: usr can not receive personal messages.

Started by SMiFFER, October 13, 2018, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

Do not laugh at me (I know you do anyway, especially Kindred :) hehe)

I am admin here of course, but when I try to send a mail to a specific user,
I get an error msg saying that this user can not receive personal messages.

What could possibly cause that?

Update:

as soon as I change the usergroup of that user, then it works.

something must be wrong with that usergroup, but what?

Update:

It appears that all users of ONE SPECIFIC -usergroup- cannot receive messages. How can I fix that?

Update:

Can send PMs to this group: is checked ON for this group. that cannot be it.

Please avoid posting three replies to your own topic in the space of five minutes and use the modify button instead in future.  Posts merged - Iris.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Their inbox full?
Have you checked their individual permissions through Profile -> Profile Info -> Show Permissions?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

aegersz

i like to see screenshots about rare errors; do you have ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

SMiFFER

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 14, 2018, 02:41:44 AM
Their inbox full?
Have you checked their individual permissions through Profile -> Profile Info -> Show Permissions?

Both false.
This happend with FRESHLY made accounts with that usergroup and I am sure I have permission, I am sysop...
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

SMiFFER

Quote from: aegersz on October 15, 2018, 09:53:28 PM
i like to see screenshots about rare errors; do you have ?

I can sure give you a screenie, but what else than the error msg do you expect to see on it?

SMiFFER

exactly this - and only if the member is member of usergroup 29, so it has to be some misconfig in THAT group.

User 'xxx' can not receive personal messages.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SMiFFER

I doubt that it has anything to do with mods, it is a messup in the usergroup 29

Anyway, I am waiting for the 2.1 of SMF so I have not installed any mod since well 1 year.

The problem occured last week. So I copied the database over to an SMF WITHOUT MODS
and the problem persists, so I answer: none.

aegersz

do all your member groups have a space before the number or just this one ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Then I ask you again.
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 14, 2018, 02:41:44 AM
Do check that user's permissions, and see that they can access their profile and private messages.
It pretty much has to be a permission issue, if it is related to a specific membergroup, and it is not caused by a full inbox or mods.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Illori

there is no permission for being able to receive PM's, there is a way to limit how many PM's they can have in their inbox. most likely this is the issue the OP will need to check.

SMiFFER

No, no, Alex is right! That is the right direction.
I then logged into myPHPadmin that showed:
Group 29 has only 2 (!) permissions set, all others were missing.

Added PM_send and PM_read, then that solved the issue it worked.

Strange.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Illori on October 17, 2018, 11:23:17 AM
there is no permission for being able to receive PM's, there is a way to limit how many PM's they can have in their inbox. most likely this is the issue the OP will need to check.
Read and send are separate permissions, I am unsure if and how read actually affects - because I have not tried, but did not wish to rule that out.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Illori

strange, I don't recall that permission having existed. at least we got it resolved.

aegersz

me neither because if you wanna send PM's then you're gonna wanna, and this is a wild guess  :P, receive them also.

unless you're talking to the hand.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

They are separate, because the read permission stops you from accessing PMs completely - no sending either then. But you can have read access, without the permission to send too.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

aegersz

oh, i see. smart software, isn't it ?  8)

thank you for that explanation !

SMiFFER

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 17, 2018, 12:10:42 PM
They are separate, because the read permission stops you from accessing PMs completely - no sending either then. But you can have read access, without the permission to send too.

This is #true!
Alex, you prove again that you really know what you are talking about.

The error was that I mistakenly inherited that new usergroup from guests, who do not have PM_send and PM_read set to 1.
Both added to SQL, fixed.

Thanks Alex!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Kindred

However, this begs the question... why the hell would you be manually modifying things in SQL when there is an interface for it in the admin that PROPERLY SETS ALL VALUES (whereas doing things directly in SQL frequently misses some of the joined tables)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: