Forum visible but not accessible

Started by JacquieB, October 14, 2018, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacquieB

Hi everyone,

First of all, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm getting really frustrated with my board and with searching the support forums to try and find the answer :)

I have a board which will include a forum to minister to those hurting, so I would like all users to be able to see the forum in the index so they know it's there if they need it, but I would prefer if users requested access so only specific groups/members can actually access it.

Is there a way to do this, or a suggested work around.

Again, I'm so sorry if this has been answered before, if it has if someone could just point me in the right direction for where to find it I'd be so grateful.

Thank you in advance
Jacquie

Kindred

What do you mean by "see the forum in the index"?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JacquieB

Hi Kindred,

Thanks for replying.

I mean on the main page where all of the forums are listed?

Thanks again
Jacquie

Arantor

SMF can't do this outof the box, it takes the view that if you can see it, you can enter it. Changing this has been done in mods in the past but it always seems so fragile.

Kindred

just FYI, the confusion is terms. :)

in SMF, the entire thing is a forum...   the individiual sections which hold messages are boards.

However, as Arantor says...   SMF, by default, only shows actions which can be completed. In other words, you can not see a board unless you can also get into it to see the messages.

There are several mods which change this (view only boards) - however, as an experienced admin, I will tell you what I always say when people ask for this feature...   it's a bad idea.  Generally, if I visit a site that shows me something, I expect to be able to see that thing. If I get prompted to register to just read it, I leave the site and never return....  (requiring registration to post is one thing, requiring registration to read is just annoying)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JacquieB

QuoteGenerally, if I visit a site that shows me something, I expect to be able to see that thing. If I get prompted to register to just read it, I leave the site and never return....  (requiring registration to post is one thing, requiring registration to read is just annoying)

I actually hadn't considered that, fair point. Thanks Kindred. I'll just keep a closer eye on that particular board initially, see how it goes and then look at other options if I hit problems. Plus, if someone would prefer greater privacy then I can always revert to email or set up an online chat.

Thanks also Arantor, that saves me time looking for something that I can't do :)

Thanks again both, you've just saved me tons of wasted time and effort and given me a different perspective :)
Jacquie

Advertisement: