News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Video mod

Started by xRated, October 15, 2018, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xRated

Is there anyone out there who could make a video mod? which lets users upload videos to your site and place it into a specify category. if that is not possible then have just in the admin area a place where you can post links yourself from your server.

Doesent need a comment section, just the video player itself.

all i can find is embed from popular websites.

vbgamer45

I have a paid gallery system which has a video upload system built into it https://www.smfhacks.com/smf-gallery-pro.php

Client side demo at https://www.smfhacks.com/demos/index.php?action=gallery
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

xRated

thanks! I will check it out.

lurkalot

Quote from: xRated on October 15, 2018, 12:47:07 PM
thanks! I will check it out.

Or a free one here that Arantor very kindly attached to this post. https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525210.msg3921971#msg3921971

I use it on a couple of my sites, works well.

Arantor

I think vbgamer's might have the edge when it comes to serving video because I chose to enforce protections on files - which makes video performance kinda lame at times.

lurkalot

Quote from: Arantor on October 15, 2018, 05:19:20 PM
I think vbgamer's might have the edge when it comes to serving video because I chose to enforce protections on files - which makes video performance kinda lame at times.

Thanks. Haven't noticed that problem, but then I mainly use it to embed YT vids.  Still a fantastic mod, and a shame you're no longer working on it.  ;)

Arantor

Yeah if you're just embedding YT, no issue because YT does the work - but if you upload, say, a 1GB 1080p video, it will have issues trying to serve that off a shared server.

(Though, downloads will actually work even on a shared server.)

landyvlad

xRated - as an aside, I'd caution against allowing users to upload videos to your forum directly, as they'll quickly take a LOT of space which obviously costs you money via your webhost.

Also I'm not sure how vbgamer's or Arantor's systems work but you'd need to be confident that those videos can't be linked to outside sites otherwise people will use your site as a default video server which will really cause problems for you.

I can see it being useful for videos you might create such as forum guides and so on.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Advertisement: