News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Paid subscriptions bug

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, October 18, 2018, 12:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Surprised I never noticed this before.  If you set up a subscription for 6 months @ Cost per month ($):  $10.00, it's posted to PayPal as $10.00, not $60.00, and subscription is activated for 6 months.  You get a $60 sub for $10.  You have to set Cost per month ($):  $60.00 to get it right. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Are you sure it doesn't bill you monthly thereafter? IIRC the transaction is sent to PP as 10 for 6 months at that point...

Sir Osis of Liver

I have recurring payments disabled, it's not showing up as a subscription in my PP account.  Recurring only works if payment is made from another PayPal account, not with credit cards.  I think it did work with cc at one time, but now it's an addon that costs $19.95/mo.

- R. Waters

Arantor

So you have the thing that makes it work disabled but it's a bug in the software... sure.

The whole idea of it working the way it is designed is so you pay 10 a month for 6 months (managed on the PayPal end) and if they cancel, an IPN is sent to notify SMF.

So far I'm not seeing the bug. What you're trying to suggest is that it should bill the entire subscription amount upfront which is misleading and contrary to design and implementation.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

And you can actually still set it up to work that way too. All I have ever used is set prices upfront, because that is what people are more familiar and comfortable with around here.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, yes, but it confused me (granted, I'm an old guy with brain damage), and the forum owner I'm working with (also none too swift), but assuming we represent typical users, it's not clear how it works, and the way it displays the costs is muddled.  We want a 3 mo., 6 mo., and 12 mo. sub at flat rate, seems pretty simple, but there's no way to do it.  Had to hack the template to do it like this -

Silver:  $10.00
Duration: 3 Months

Gold:  $30.00
Duration: 6 Months

Platinum:  $75.00
Duration: 12 Months

If they pay by cc (most of his members don't have PP accounts) with recurring enabled, it's processed as a one-time payment, so we pretty much have to go with flat rate.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 18, 2018, 01:15:14 AM
And you can actually still set it up to work that way too. All I have ever used is set prices upfront, because that is what people are more familiar and comfortable with around here.

You can set it up as $60/mo. for six months with recurring disabled, and it will create a six month subscription for $60, one-time charge, but it doesn't display the subscription cost correctly on the order pages.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No, I don't think I ever had to "cheat" the system like that. I'm gonna have to check what I have set up currently..
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Just looking at it on my clean test install, it's different.  I had modded this guy's subs setup previously, to make it do something it didn't do that he wanted, I'll have to work backwards and see if it's something I did.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

I was modding something I had modded previously to do something different (my guy keeps changing his mind).  It's working correctly now, Cost per month ($) is actually Cost, it is a flat rate for duration specified, tests out ok. 

<sigh>

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: