News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Notify members of LIVE webinar

Started by tfs, October 18, 2018, 01:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfs

We have two technical webinars on a particular day of the month. I would like to have some type of banner display at the top of the forum that indicates that it is LIVE right now, with a link. Also perhaps another less glitzy banner on the days/hours leading up to the monthly webinars indicating that it's coming.

I have tried using the "news" function of the forum but it has two problems. One is that if people have collapsed the little header where the news appears then they don't see it. Second is that it is shown to ALL users, and I need to only display this to certain membergroup members.

This is SMF 2.0.15 using SimpleDesk in Help-Desk-Only mode. There is no forum visible to users... only the help desk. I don't think that impacts this but I thought it should be mentioned.

I've considered installing a Portal to do this, but I'm hesitant due to my desire to keep the complexity reduced. This is a busy help desk that has run for 8 years now, and I'm slow to make changes unless they're necessary.

I've used "Top Menu" on another forum I run and it looks OK, but there's no option of showing different things to different membergoups.

I'm starting to think that a Portal may be the only way outside of customization.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Kindred

global headers and footers mod?

Ad manager mod?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tfs

I ended up using SimplePortal in Integration mode and it seems to do the trick.

Thanks for your feedback.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Arantor

That was better than any idea I had, for the record.

tfs

HI Arantor,

Yeah, I know I used to use SimplePortal on the test sites I was using for SimpleDesk beta testing, and it worked great.

I was just hesitant on installing such a big mod (SimplePortal) on a help desk that has been working fine for so long. :)

Nice to hear from you! :)

Paul

Arantor

Advertisement: