What sort of microSD card should I buy to run a SMF Forum?

Started by Catherine Constantine, October 19, 2018, 12:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherine Constantine

I am thinking that I am just going to turn my Raspberry Pi 3 model B into a web server since it's just sitting there unplugged since it was always on.

I don't want to wipe the card that I currently have in it since that is what holds my emulators, but I am not sure what is the best buy for a microSD card that will be used to run a SMF forum and all other associated programs needed.

I am getting close to starting this project.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Make it fast, make it large enough to hold your files and database. That's about it.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Catherine Constantine

So for a rough estimate, would you say 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB, or larger?

live627

That sounds awesome!

Any card will work as long as it fits the device. The operating system and webserver take up much more space than SMF.

Catherine Constantine

Do you have a recommended maximum that I should be looking for? I'm thinking 128 GB.

vbgamer45

That would be more than enough. Unless you are doing serious file and video hosting.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

GigaWatt

Quote from: Catherine Constantine on October 19, 2018, 04:54:54 PM
Do you have a recommended maximum that I should be looking for? I'm thinking 128 GB.

Might be a bit of an overkill... unless, as vbgamer45 pointed out, you're planning on uploading and hosting large files ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

SpacePhoenix

Could you keep us updated as to how it goes. Was just thinking myself the other day about getting a raspberry pi as a development server running Ubuntu (working with Linux would be new territory for me)

Looking

If you do that make plenty backups as I never trust the longevity of those things.

Antes

This is my micro-server, has LAMP, few php scripts and SMF (2.0/2.1) with few themes installed.

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

GigaWatt

Though not as small and as cheap as the RPi 3 B+, the design is better. More I/O ports, SATA as well (something that the RPi, at least to my knowledge, never had). Good choice ;). If nothing else, the power connector is not Micro USB based, like the RPi ::). 3A over Micro USB ???... really ???... who came up with that design ::).

What are the load times :)?

SpacePhoenix

If Linux is installed on one, can it have PHP, Apache, MySQL, etc set up very close to the typical setup that a hosting company would use?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on January 10, 2019, 02:17:37 AM
If Linux is installed on one, can it have PHP, Apache, MySQL, etc set up very close to the typical setup that a hosting company would use?
Yes, there are actually specially tailored distros available for that I think.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

I guarantee you the configuration on a microSD card version of MySQL really should be quite different to what is done on a hosting grade server, if done properly. The characteristics make it such that you should configure it differently to avoid wearing the SD card out sooner than it should be (and configured differently for performance and reliability)

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: Arantor on January 10, 2019, 05:00:47 AM
I guarantee you the configuration on a microSD card version of MySQL really should be quite different to what is done on a hosting grade server, if done properly. The characteristics make it such that you should configure it differently to avoid wearing the SD card out sooner than it should be (and configured differently for performance and reliability)

Would setting up a virtual machine on a PC (Windows 8.1) for development in a Linux environment be better than using a Raspberry Pi?

Arantor

Why does it need a Linux environment in the first place? Also, why does it need to be configured exactly the same way? The reality is that you will never get access to the level of configuration on a hosting company because they won't tell you how they have it configured and anything else is largely guesswork.

For the record I've been happily developing on XAMPP and WampServer for years even though never running on Windows in production. I learned many years ago that trying to replicate the hosting environment never works out.

And that persists today, I run stuff that is much larger and much more complex than SMF on much larger hosting environments (multiple servers, load balancer etc.) and we never have the staging environment be a full replica of production, bearing in mind that the AWS hosting bill for one customer runs into 5 figures per month...

Antes

Quote from: GigaWatt on January 09, 2019, 08:50:48 PM
Though not as small and as cheap as the RPi 3 B+, the design is better. More I/O ports, SATA as well (something that the RPi, at least to my knowledge, never had). Good choice ;). If nothing else, the power connector is not Micro USB based, like the RPi ::). 3A over Micro USB ???... really ???... who came up with that design ::).

What are the load times :)?

I'm not into (tbh not even remotely interested in) the hardware, all hardware belongs to my brother. He has interest in those stuff :P, but since one was laying around we decided to power up and make it work, so far its not frequently used but still its nice to have one around :)

Themes are RDD & Lunarfall. I don't have any other theme work at this point. If I create another one, it 'll be listed there as well :D

Advertisement: