News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Re: PHP version supported

Started by fungolfer, October 18, 2018, 05:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fungolfer

Sorry I answer or ask in this topic after a long time. My provider will update all servers to PHP 7.2 in November. I'm running a SMF Forum 2.0.15 and not sure what to do after the change is done. I guess my forum will not work anymore. I was able to upgrade PHP to 7.0 and 7.1 and the forum boards were invisible. Only the header was available. So whenever the change is done I can at least go back to 7.1 but do I need to reinstall the forum? Any help would be appreciated.

Please avoid raising topics from over a year ago which have been marked as solved in future.  Topic split - Iris.

vbgamer45

7.2 is not supported for SMF 2.0.x as of yet. Your  board may work but may have a ton of error messages.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

shawnb61

Quote from: fungolfer on October 18, 2018, 05:37:49 AM
So whenever the change is done I can at least go back to 7.1 but do I need to reinstall the forum? Any help would be appreciated.

If you can go back to 7.1, your forum should be good.  No need to reinstall.   7.2 doesn't work.

The biggest issue with 7.1 is some mods do not work yet.  But SMF 2.0.15 does. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kindred

And you should consider leaving any host who forces your sites to 7.2 (without the option to stay at 7.0 or 7.1)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

fungolfer

Thanks for your answers guys :) I changed to 7.1 yesterday but the boards were invisible. So I had the header and in the middle I had another header. Might be Tiny Portal which causes the problem. So now seaching for mod problems...

Arantor

Are you up to date with TinyPortal? It needed quite some work to function correctly on PHP 7/7.1.

SD-X

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 18, 2018, 09:39:17 AM
7.2 is not supported for SMF 2.0.x as of yet. Your  board may work but may have a ton of error messages.
I have been desperately trying for hours to figure out why my existing forums won't connect to the database on my VPS using PHP 7.2, and why a brand new forum installer would not connect either. I figured it was MySQL 8.x...but you just narrowed down the cause. Thank you! The past posts on this forum regarding PHP 7.x support are quite misleading.

Any news on when PHP 7.2.x will be supported with SMF 2.0.x? Also, does SMF 2.1.x support it yet, or is that in the same boat?

Edit: Scratch that last part. I was able to find the answer regarding SMF 2.1.x on the GitHub repo issues page.

@rjen

Quote from: Arantor on October 19, 2018, 02:16:43 AM
Are you up to date with TinyPortal? It needed quite some work to function correctly on PHP 7/7.1.

... latest Tinyportal versions are working flawlessly on 7.1...

last known 7.1 bug was fixed in 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 was just released. I you are running an older version, try to uninstall and install the latest...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

fungolfer

Yeah I was running TP 1.2 and now updated to 1.6 and everything works great :)

Plantje

Quote from: fungolfer on October 18, 2018, 05:37:49 AM
Sorry I answer or ask in this topic after a long time. My provider will update all servers to PHP 7.2 in November. I'm running a SMF Forum 2.0.15 and not sure what to do after the change is done. I guess my forum will not work anymore. I was able to upgrade PHP to 7.0 and 7.1 and the forum boards were invisible. Only the header was available. So whenever the change is done I can at least go back to 7.1 but do I need to reinstall the forum? Any help would be appreciated.

Please avoid raising topics from over a year ago which have been marked as solved in future.  Topic split - Iris.

Guess you're on one.com as well, right?

Last week all of a sudden my forum stopped working and the database user name and password were clearly visible for anyone trying to go to my site. Wasn't too happy with that. So, version 7.2 of PHP does work with older forum software versions?

vbgamer45

Correct.  From what I read they should have an option change PHP 7.1 at least you need to be on SMF 2.0.15 to support that.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Plantje

Thanks for the response. I have one production site and one acceptance test site. Both are on 2.0.11. I've put the acceptance test site to PHP 7.1 now and it seems to be working. Otherwise I'll do an update to the 2.0.15 version. That seems to be pretty straight forward.

However, I was planning on doing a major upgrade anyway. But I think I will start a separate topic for that. Currently I am going through all the mods in the website and one by one I decide which ones to keep and which ones not to keep. Then I want to create a backup of both the DB and the files, throw everything away from the host and then reinstall a fresh copy of the Simple Machines Forum software and restore the old database there.

Kindred

Version prior to 2.0.14 do not support php 7.0 or 7.1
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: Kindred on October 18, 2018, 04:18:12 PM
And you should consider leaving any host who forces your sites to 7.2 (without the option to stay at 7.0 or 7.1)
I'd expect to see a good few hosts moving servers over to 7.1 or 7.2 as both 5.6 and 7.0 will be EOL by the end of the year

SomeoneElse

Quote from: Kindred on November 18, 2018, 06:35:36 PMVersion prior to 2.0.14 do not support php 7.0 or 7.1

Which means that because 2.0.14 has a higher minimum version of PHP 5.x it will accept than 2.0.13 did, you can be a position that you cannot update past 2.0.13 on the existing server and cannot move a 2.0.13 setup to a server with PHP 7.0 either. Been there, had to work around that.

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on November 19, 2018, 12:50:59 AMI'd expect to see a good few hosts moving servers over to 7.1 or 7.2 as both 5.6 and 7.0 will be EOL by the end of the year

Quite.

Much that I love SMF, it is worrying that it is so slow in adapting to new versions of PHP.

PHP 7.0 was released in December 2015, but it took until May 2017 - half way through 7.0's three year cycle as a supported version of PHP - before SMF 2.0.14 was released and would run on PHP 7.0.

Arantor

And that it's "difficult" to make work on 7.2 properly...

lwiz

Just out of curiosity is this the changeover from 5.6 to 7.0 all over again? In other words, forum code itself should work, but MySQL changes prevent it?

-L

Arantor

It has nothing to do with MySQL, it is simply that PHP has changed what it considers acceptable and techniques that were fine 15 years ago are no longer. Unfortunately in SMF terms, every single bbcode mod needs to be rewritten for PHP 7.2 and there is no good way to do it automatically.

Plantje

Quote from: Kindred on November 18, 2018, 06:35:36 PM
Version prior to 2.0.14 do not support php 7.0 or 7.1
You're right. When I did a thorough test, I noticed my website didn't work.

Planning to upgrade tonight Wish me luck :D

Advertisement: