News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Re: PHP version supported

Started by fungolfer, October 18, 2018, 05:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomeoneElse

Just under a year ago, I said:

Quote from: SomeoneElse on November 24, 2018, 12:44:57 PM
Much that I love SMF, it is worrying that it is so slow in adapting to new versions of PHP.

PHP 7.0 was released in December 2015, but it took until May 2017 - half way through 7.0's three year cycle as a supported version of PHP - before SMF 2.0.14 was released and would run on PHP 7.0.

Today, I updated a server to Debian Buster from Debian Stretch - i.e. to the current 'stable' version of Debian that's been out for a few months now, from the old stable version.

It comes with PHP 7.3.

SMF generated a pile of PHP errors along the lines of

[Wed Oct 16 22:26:32.290821 2019] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 24398:tid 3007286080] [client 12.34.56.78:3806] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 178PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 183PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 184PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 220PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 223PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 235PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 250PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 252PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 257PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 268PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 270PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/user/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php on line 273'

.. and eventually stopped working as some resource filled up.

So, with some work installing it from a third party repository, I'm now on PHP 7.1 because it looks like exactly the same thing will happen if I went for PHP 7.2.

SMF 2.0.15 is still the official stable version of SMF, released just shy of two years ago now, and there's no sign of another 2.0.x release.

PHP 7.2 has been out for only a handful of days less than 2.0.15, and it's still not officially supported??

PHP 7.3 is the default version on one of the most popular server OSes out there, and has been out for just shy of a year.

The problem with this is that PHP 7.1 goes out of support in six weeks.

Aaargh!

I understand there's a mod or two that chop at least some of the deprecated PHP out and get it running on 7.2, but I can't spot one that's complete and 7.3 compatible.

I would really rather not rely on a third-party repository for PHP 7.1 past it going end of life and switching to SMF 2.1.0 RC2 is not recommended for a production board, especially as there still look to be issues with the upgrade process and it appears to be irreversible. Eeek.

What can we do to help?

Plantje

I agree, looks like some action needs to be performed. What can be done to help?

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Plantje

I hope it will support 7.3 as well. Just got a notification that my host will update to 7.3 in the first week of November. So, I guess I will be updating to 7.3 on my Acceptance Test server as soon as possible and see what runs and what not....

vbgamer45

I been running php 7.3 on smf 2.0.x on one of my servers. I just had to suppress some of the error logging and been ok so far.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Irisado

Two topics on the same issue are not needed, and since this one is a year old, I am locking it, please continue the discussion in the topic which a10 linked to:

Quote from: a10 on October 17, 2019, 04:54:01 AM
Hopefully a 2.0.16 will arrive > https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=569552.msg4030476#msg4030476
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: