Bookmark site - phone shortcut.

Started by shinglis, October 20, 2018, 06:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinglis

Is there a mod or easy template edit to create a bookmark or favourite icon on phone / tablets.
I guess users can do this easy themselves but not sure if a button "bookmark site" would encourage use or repeat visits etc.

Arantor

Pretty sure none of the mobile browsers let the website add themselves as a favourite (even with user interaction), because back in the day when this was possible on some desktop browsers, it was so abused, it was never added to later browsers.

Don't think you can, basically.

Deaks

Quote from: shinglis on October 20, 2018, 06:54:53 PM
I guess users can do this easy themselves but not sure if a button "bookmark site" would encourage use or repeat visits etc.

cant speak for everyone but a lot of people I know never check their bookmarks ...
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

shinglis

Quote from: BryanD on October 21, 2018, 07:25:18 AM
Quote from: shinglis on October 20, 2018, 06:54:53 PM

cant speak for everyone but a lot of people I know never check their bookmarks ...

I would agree with this as also very guilty.

shinglis

Quote from: Arantor on October 21, 2018, 06:45:16 AM
Pretty sure none of the mobile browsers let the website add themselves as a favourite (even with user interaction), because back in the day when this was possible on some desktop browsers, it was so abused, it was never added to later browsers.

Don't think you can, basically.

Ok thanks. Will just post sticky instructions.. can't spoon feed users all the time.  ;D

Biology Forums

Bookmarking the website URL on the homescreen however would be quite effective. I've searched for this script in the passed but they get complicated because browsers run differently from one update to the next

Advertisement: