News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

wordpress embed

Started by nsno, October 21, 2018, 07:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsno

Would it be possible for a plugin to pull the featured image and excerpt text from a Wordpress link and display them neatly?

a bit like Wordpress does itself when you paste a link into the post, it creates a "pretty" embed for it

would be the image thumbnail, then beside it the title (clickable) and the excerpt text underneath

vbgamer45

It's possible.
I would check out https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=835 that would be a good start for that plugin.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Biology Forums

@OP

So let's pretend you linked my forum in a post, what would be shown as an image?

I used WordPress myself, I've never seen this feature

nsno

Quote from: Study Force on October 21, 2018, 03:06:19 PM
@OP

So let's pretend you linked my forum in a post, what would be shown as an image?

I used WordPress myself, I've never seen this feature

yeah, the new Gutenberg editor allows it much more easily - it may have been a feature of Jetpack before that though, I've not used it heavily on my site before, I just knew it was possible.

now with Gutenberg it is much easier with the "Embed" blocks they provide

Kindred

I don't use Gutenberg... but with most of the "share" plugins for WP...   when you link the post or the page, you get the featured image displayed as a thumbnail along with the title and excerpt.
Most of them use the OG: meta tag to define that stuff...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

@nsno

On a side note, what ad network allows you to have the floating ad at the bottom in desktop view? I'm interested in something like that myself.

nsno

Quote from: Study Force on October 22, 2018, 12:50:23 PM
@nsno

On a side note, what ad network allows you to have the floating ad at the bottom in desktop view? I'm interested in something like that myself.

we were approached by an ad network called GRV Media who work with a number of our - I don't want to say competitors but in any other niche, they would be - and they have done a lot of optimisation with us.  This is one of their ad blocks.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to their site, but they are the first result on Google for their name, naturally!  Feel free to mention us if you reach out to them.

nsno

Advertisement: