Split and merge, post with priority

Started by efk, October 21, 2018, 11:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

I noticed how is hard to organize topic if there is some basic 1st post from which we want to make more posts bellow it from the same user, but problem comes if other users are commenting bellow, so if we split that part from other users and then our specific user add more posts bellow which should be with priority, time and date of post will override newer posts when we merge topic again, so posts with priority will be moved to bottom again and split and merge was useless so nothing good, we are forced to move undesired posts to another topic or to delete them. This is to avoid long posts and to be short where each post has important purpose. So any idea or plugin how to have control over posts in this specific situation? This rarely happens, but from time to time is necessary, I'm not fan of posts deletion without good reason, nor changing globally behavior of posts, only in this specific situation.

Arantor

There really isn't a good way to do this that doesn't screw up other things even if you set a per post priority.

Best solution, really... lock the topic until the staff are done posting to it, or edit the first post.

landyvlad

What's the reason?

I ask because a motorcycle forum I'm on has lots of threads where people are showing off their projects. These build threads can cover a period of many months or even years, and naturally a lot of commenting goes on by others. 

This can make it hard for someone wanting just to read the builder's posts, or looking back for something particular in those posts.

A mod was created which allows for the thread to be 'filtered' to show only the posts of the OP in that thread, this is a really useful feature.

See this discussion:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559341.0

this mod https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4174

the original mod is (or atleast was) here: Show only OP replies http://www.xptsp.com/board/index.php?topic=1637.0

Hopefully this might be helpful for you.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

See, this is why I ask, because I don't think the case you're describing is the problem the OP has.

efk

Quote from: Arantor on October 21, 2018, 11:27:59 AM
There really isn't a good way to do this that doesn't screw up other things even if you set a per post priority.

Best solution, really... lock the topic until the staff are done posting to it, or edit the first post.
This is probably 2nd time where I ask this same question or something very similar and it seems its the same answer and probably from you again (won't check previous posts, its deja vu). Wanted to find permanent solution so this with filters can be useful, but not what will help to make permanent order of posts.
Is it possible to make some plugin with which we/admin/or topic author can change time and date of post so in that way to make post to be moved up on desired place?

Arantor

Not really since SMF doesn't use time or date of posts to order posts inside a topic.

When a post is created, it gets an ID, which is based on ascending order numerically in order of creation. This is used to order the posts in a topic and to do various kinds of lookups because it's faster than anything else for identifying the order of posts and for getting other data about the posts in a topic crossreferenced against the table's indexes.

While you could conceivably change SMF to not use that ID, it risks a surprising amount of change to make happen to keep everything consistent, and is why I said there isn't a good way to do this, because all the other ways are slower even if all the necessary changes were made to make everything consistent (and that's quite a few changes)

Advertisement: