News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

The best anti spam registration set up.

Started by tonzodehoo, October 22, 2018, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GigaWatt

Could you state what registration question template did you use? Just curious :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

tonzodehoo

I basically set up two questions asking for specific numbers from within each sequence of characters to be identified.
So far so good

GigaWatt

So, more or less the question template I linked :).

Trust me, it works wonders, as you've witnessed so far ;).

Did you set only two questions in total or is the number of questions asked during registration two?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

tonzodehoo

There are two questions asked at registration plus I still have a captcha in place.

Thanks for the link and support. It has been a great help with this issue.
Keep up the good work.

a10

^^^ I'd say you can disable the captcha, creates work for real people while the bots drive right through it.

My setup is a dozen or so questions, 2 active. Stopping 1000's of bots every week (registration entries in server logs).
About the 'human bots', maybe 5 or so pr year = very close to nonexistant. If by (mal)chance getting many human bots, a mod like Stopforumspam may be of help.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Biology Forums

I've added a code post-registration where if within 5 minutes a signature is added, it deactivates their account lol

It's my favorite mouse trap

tonzodehoo

Quote from: a10 on October 26, 2018, 10:07:06 AM
My setup is a dozen or so questions, 2 active. Stopping 1000's of bots every week (registration entries in server logs).
About the 'human bots', maybe 5 or so pr year = very close to nonexistant. If by (mal)chance getting many human bots, a mod like Stopforumspam may be of help.

So how does that work? Are only two questions asked from the list you have created when anyone tries to register?

a10

Enter 'a whole bunch' of questions in the list, set "Number of verification questions user must answer".
= questions (& combination of questions) presented at registration randomly changing.
= botnet rats totally confused :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

GigaWatt

Exactly, have (had ::)) 20 setup on my forum, one question asked during registration, not one bot registered since I implemented that template ;).

Humans can solve them, you need to use logic to solve them, which is what bots can't ;). They can Google, but they can't think ;).

panelpro

Quote from: a10 on October 26, 2018, 10:07:06 AM
^^^ I'd say you can disable the captcha, creates work for real people while the bots drive right through it.

Complex questions, reCAPTCHA, and Misc Anti Spam Mod (recommended here) used to work for me in the past until two of them stopped working recently. While reCAPTCHA for SMF isn't accepting user's submission, Misc Anti Spam Mod was completely OFF from SMF. I had to switch back to default captcha and more complex questions, but that didn't help much until I subscribed to CleanTalk services.

So far, the CleanTalk mod works excellently for fighting spam registrations automatically, and Anti-Spam Links Mod for human spammers.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

That doesn't stop spam registrations,  or just flags then.
Good questions stop them...  but you need to replace questions at least once as year
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

panelpro

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2019, 09:48:56 PM
Good questions stop them...  but you need to replace questions at least once as year
Thanks. I'll go with this if CleanTalk fails at any point. 

a10

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2019, 09:48:56 PM

^^^^ That. An anti-spam lookup mod alone, without questions, makes one wade through 1000's, over time 100.000's, of pending botnet registration entries, lots of extra work for admin.

Good questions first, automatically kills botnet activity before they even reach the reg page, then maybe add an anti-spam mod if there should be any human spammer activity worthy of any consideration.

Advertisement: