News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

The best anti spam registration set up.

Started by tonzodehoo, October 22, 2018, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonzodehoo

I have a couple of forums and have found that there is a daily accumulation of spam registrations as new members.
Somehow these bots or spammers can get round the captcha etc that I have setup for registrations (See the image attached)
So what is the best way to stop such unwanted bot and spam registrations?

Looking

Require them to make an introduction that needs approval before being able to do anything else. By that you can gauge intentions. Always works for me and my clients.

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

tonzodehoo

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful and much to read.
Just to be clear the bots have not made it onto the forums as yet as they are required to be approved by the admin, i.e. myself.
The issue is the number of bot members registering daily and seeking approval.

I have setup some more complex questions as suggested and will see if this impedes them from registering. If this succeeds then I shall let you know.

a10

QuoteIf this succeeds
No 'if', it will :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Looking

Just note, anti-spam puzzles may work for bots but they do not work for the human spammer. Hence a required intro, as I suggested, works for both. Even this site could probably use that... how many times have we seen first time posts with pyramid schemes and sales pitches.

tonzodehoo

Thanks for this.

How do I set up the introduction you are proposing?

No further bot registrations so far....

addaam

Looking

I usually do custom coding but you may be able to set it up using permissions and groups. For instance designate a board for intros and a first time group that requires approval. Once approved they are promoted to regular posters. Its not as nice as a guided system for new members but it can get the job done if you also face human spamming.

Kindred

Quote from: Looking on October 23, 2018, 07:21:00 AM
Just note, anti-spam puzzles may work for bots but they do not work for the human spammer. Hence a required intro, as I suggested, works for both. Even this site could probably use that... how many times have we seen first time posts with pyramid schemes and sales pitches.

but this actually requires MORE attention even than admin approval. This requires a moderator/admin to read and comprehend the post...     The way I have it set, we have no admin requirement to pay attention to registrations and we still get no spammers.

Also, doing it here?  Really? You'd rather we spend our time reading and approving registration posts than coding or reviewing mods/themes, or rather than providing support?   It's not realistic on any site with a significant registration per day along with other activities that the staff should be doing.

BTW: addaam.... can you reduce that signature? It's pointless and extra long...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Looking

QuoteAlso, doing it here?  Really? You'd rather we spend our time reading and approving registration posts than coding or reviewing mods/themes, or rather than providing support?
I'm not sure, why you are saying all of this, it comes across as hostile. I never said how anyone should spend or prioritize their time. Also, as far as I know even when moderating a post you still have to spend time reading what you are deleting / editing, removing member, etc. The way I am suggesting stops anyone from even seeing the spam in the first place. Anyway, this is all relative to how people like to administer their site, carry on.

Kindred

Sorry.... did not mean to sound hostile...   but I did find your suggestion to be kinda silly from my point of view.
The whole goal of the spam protection stuff is to AVOID having to manually handle the registration process. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Looking

Again, I am addressing the HUMAN spammer. The anti-spam in the registration will do well to stop the bot but it will NOT stop the human spammer that gets passed all that and then makes their first post a pyramid scheme, sales pitch and so forth.

Kindred

and yet....in three years, I have had only one human spammer.  So, obviously, my automated process is accomplishing the task of restricting both human and bots...
Слaва
Украинi

Looking

What? I see spam posts here now and again especially because I am subscribed to some of the boards and because of my time zone I tend to report some of them when most are probably sleeping. It happens about 1-2 a day or every other day at least. Maybe moderators are deleting them faster than you can notice and keeping you rather... happy.

Illori

Kindred is talking about on his own forum not here. the method works fine for him there.

Looking

If that is so then it is really confusing because he mentions this site and then talks about his (your) time. Anyway, this thread is taking up lots of time. Peace out.

Kindred

lol.... I am talking about 3 different external sites which I admin.

Unfortunately, HERE, we do not have the full range of spam prevention, mostly because we have not implemented the multi-lingual questions (and we have to support all the SMF languages)

So, I was addressing two points in your original suggestion.
1- the use of required posting/intro in general (as noted for the other sites that I admin)
2- Your suggestion that we use required posting/into here (which, as noted is not realistic)
Слaва
Украинi

tonzodehoo

Well since the change to the questions there have been no new members registrations from bots.
This is most promising.
Fingers crossed it stays that way. As for human bots then I reckon so long as there is not an inundation of them then I can manage such sad individuals on a case by case basis.

Many thanks for the suggestion and I shall now introduce it to the other forums I manage.

Advertisement: