Pretty URLs or Advance SEF URL? Which mod is better for Search Engine?

Started by ikramkhan, October 24, 2018, 10:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikramkhan

Which mode should I use to rewrite the URLs? To make them search engine friendly? I have found two: Pretty URLs and Advance SEF URLs. Can you please help me which one is better and why?

Kindred

neither one really matters.

Search Engines don't really care about the urls any more.

The only reason to use such things is for human readability, not search engines.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ikramkhan

Well.... I have different views about that as I believe Google and other search engines gave importance if the Keyword is there in the URL...

Anyhow, I rephrase my question: Which mod is good for URL rewriting and why?  :D

Arantor

They really don't, and even if they did, you're reliant on people making topics with keywords; reality is unless you're editing every topic, they're going to have horrible titles.

GigaWatt

Not to mention that if some day, for some reason, you choose not to use SEF URLs and remove that mod from the forum, you'll end up with a forum that has a bunch of links that go nowhere ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

vbgamer45

I do offer a reverter mod for Pretty urls if you choose to revert back to normal links
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

GigaWatt

The reverter is in RC2, should I be using that?

I do need to uninstall the mod first, right?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ikramkhan

So, the main point is that I should not use any URL rewriting mod. And yes, it might be possible that someday I think about migrating my forum to some other script like phpBB or vBulletin and in that case, Google will find a lot of 404 error on my site as the same rewriting pattern might not be available on the new forum...

Thank you for the advice... It makes sense.

Advertisement: