News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Backup file from SMF 1.1.15 (smf2.sql.gz)

Started by jgo0338, November 01, 2018, 08:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgo0338

Hello, 

I have an old backup file from an SMF 1.1.15 forum that a friend of me hosted long time ago. The backup is from januari 2009 and the data is readable as ascii tekst. So the file is not corrupt.

This forum was used to discuss historical topics and I would like to recover some of this data. It seems that this file is only containing the SQL data of the forum.

Is there a possibility that I can recover the structure and content of this SMF forum or it this quite impossible and should I forget this idea?

Kind Regards

Johan

vbgamer45

Yes it is. Pretty much Upload to a database.
Download the largeupgrade package from the SMF site for SMF 2.0.15
Upload to your website.
Change the settings.php to point to the database and then run upgrade.php
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Illori

if the user only has the database they need to get the install working on that old version before they can upgrade. otherwise the upgrade will fail as the paths/URLs in the database will not be updated to work correctly.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Illori on November 01, 2018, 10:40:25 AM
if the user only has the database they need to get the install working on that old version before they can upgrade. otherwise the upgrade will fail as the paths/URLs in the database will not be updated to work correctly.
How come? I mean the upgrade should actually be completely independent from files as far as I know, and even checks to make sure you are not using old files, such as outdated language packs. You should only need a working copy of settings.php AFAIK.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

there are paths like to the theme in the database that need to be updated before you can upgrade. the themes directory contains the language files, they will not be found and not work if the install is not working before you upgrade.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, I think I'm gonna have to play around and get familiar with the upgrade again, it's been a while, but I was kind of under the impression that at most you would need repair_settings to get things sorted after upgrade.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

you would need a running version to run Repair_settings on... :)

So...  install 1.1.15 on the server
drop all tables in the newly installed database
load your database backup into that database.
then use repair_settings.php to correctly reconfigure the backedup data to the new location

then you can upgrade to 1.1.21 and from there to 2.0.15 using the standard process
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jgo0338

Advertisement: