News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to disable PM reporting for a specific membergroup?

Started by PLAYBOY, November 01, 2018, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLAYBOY

I want to disable PM reporting and message reporting feature of a specific membergroup so they won`t be able to report anything to the admins

Can someone help me on this please?

Illori

it is a global setting, it is not per member group by default. so you would need a mod to do what you want, i dont know if one already exists.

PLAYBOY

I`m not a coder and I`m not good at those things but can`t we code it into that membergroups` permissions to just disable reporting? either as an option or in the file where it will always disable it for that membergroup

If X member group
Hide Report button

type of thing. It may look stupid but I feel like it shouldn`t be that hard to do

Kindred

I just love when people who know nothing about coding insist that something must be simple....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

efk

I saw this question few months ago and was declined or marked as impossible, but will be really good to have it in permissions and to give to people with some amount of posts.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is not a function that was designed to be used as a privilige, it was designed as a safety feature for the users. You could quite easily hide the functionality for a specific group, but not actually disable it.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

PLAYBOY

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on November 02, 2018, 12:57:19 AM
It is not a function that was designed to be used as a privilige, it was designed as a safety feature for the users. You could quite easily hide the functionality for a specific group, but not actually disable it.

Well apperently it`s not that easy to hide that button as they said above. But I still think there must be an easy fix for this.

Hiding that functionality for a specific membergroup is all I`m asking for

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I'm not infront of a computer right now, but should be possible to just add to the existing if statement for showing the link. Now it checks if the functionality is enabled, just add a check for membergroup. I think.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

If they have the link it would still work. Need to do more than just hide the link.

PLAYBOY

Quote from: Arantor on November 02, 2018, 03:06:42 AM
If they have the link it would still work. Need to do more than just hide the link.

Even hiding would be helpful for now though

Arantor

I'm curious, what's the rationale for doing this? If it because you have a few troublesome members, disallow them from receiving in the first place... PMs are a privilege not a right.

PLAYBOY

Quote from: Arantor on November 02, 2018, 04:17:52 AM
I'm curious, what's the rationale for doing this? If it because you have a few troublesome members, disallow them from receiving in the first place... PMs are a privilege not a right.

I`m sure there`re few usages of this for different people but my rationale behind this is that when I create a membergroup which I call "watchers" and they can`t participate in the forum in anyway, they can`t write a post, edit anything, send a pm etc. but they can still report the PMs that are sent to them and add whatever message they want in those reports to be delivered directly to all admins. I want to have a membergroup which can`t interact with the forum at all because they are "watchers" and I have a specific use for that group.

Arantor

PLAYBOY

Quote from: Arantor on November 02, 2018, 05:56:16 AM
If they can't interact, why can they read PMs?

So they will want to interact. Let`s focus on the topic I`d say.

I`m just looking for a way to either hide or disable the PM reporting for a specific membergroup. It really shouldn`t be so hard to do for a person who knows coding

Arantor

Putting aside whether it is easy (and people who don't understand something should never try to judge how difficult it is), I don't just give out solutions to everything because people ask. I fundamentally don't believe what you're doing is as ethical as you think, and possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.

Also, restricting people to incentivise them to expand their account rarely works as well as people think.

PLAYBOY

Quoteand people who don't understand something should never try to judge...

and then...

QuoteI fundamentally don't believe what you're doing is as ethical as you think, and possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.

I don`t know what you think but it sounds like you think I do something really bad or illegal or something. You have no idea how I manage my forum since 2006. What`s my forum is about or which country or anything about it. So Let`s not judge it so quick and again let`s focus on the topic. You don`t have to help. That`s fine. I respect that. I appreciate your involvement in the topic

Gary

He's not being specific about whether you and your members are doing anything illegal, it's a generalised statement that'd be applicable to everybody.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

PLAYBOY

Quote from: Gazmanafc on November 02, 2018, 06:53:17 AM
He's not being specific about whether you and your members are doing anything illegal, it's a generalised statement that'd be applicable to everybody.

Ummm you may want to read it again because it says "you"

Quotewhat you're doing is as ethical as you think,

Kindred

IN English "you" is both the specific and the unspecific pronoun...

However -- we generally don't just hand out code - especially to people who don't seem to understand even the basics about coding --   we try to understand the reason and the ultimate goal in order to actually help rather than just going with (quite often, flawed) assumptions.

In this case, I, like Arantor, think that your initial premise is flawed to begin with.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: