Help figuring out migration between one windows to another - SMF 2.0

Started by Ayelwen, November 02, 2018, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayelwen

Topic: We have SMF 2.0 installed on a dedicated server in Atlanta, GA. I have direct RDP access. I setup up the forums like 3 years ago. New owner of the volunteer group wants to move to a newer, higher spec server. Also RDP accessed Windows server.

I'm having trouble moving the forums. Here's the important bullet points:
* Did not use XAMP or any other self installer
* No cPanel or phpMyAdmin panel
* Database is MySQL

I've done
I have added Web Server Role (IIS) to the new server
I've installed PHP via Windows Web Platform Client
Backup of Previous IIS settings (inetsrv appcmd backup)
Restore of IIS on new server (inetsrv appcmd restore backup)

I've been unable to get anything past this state to work:
Copied wwroot dir from old server to new server, nothing loads
Removed backup of wwroot and copied blank install from SMF website, nothing loads

I'm currently removing (to blank IIS) web server role, will set that back up with default settings and try the blank SMF install from the website. If I can get the New Install to work, perhaps then I can move the database and wwroot from the old server.

Is there a process thats easier than this that Im missing?

LiroyvH

Just out of curiousity first, does this server run anything other than SMF that depends on Windows-specific features? If not, why not put the new server on Linux? :)

By "nothing loads", do you mean a white page/dirlist or do you mean no connection can be established? If the latter, has one looked at Windows Firewall yet? :P
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Ayelwen

Yes, it runs Teamspeak (which could also run on linux or etc) but also runs ArmA.

Fpr nothing loads, I've gotten 503, 404.3, and a few others. I can't rewind time so I can't really give the accurate codes. But yes, they were white error pages.
The file structure is wwroot/index.php and index.php was the top priority default document.

Ayelwen

Its been 5 days, I think its okay to Bump now.

Link to Forum: hxxp:1sfg.us [nonactive]

Problem: I need to move this forum from one windows server to another.

vbgamer45

Does PHP work? Is it the same PHP version do a test script like phpinfo();

I run my SMF on windows servers but using apache. But long time ago did use IIS.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: