News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Connection to the database problem, MDDHosting.

Started by StarredSkies, November 06, 2018, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarredSkies

Another "Connection Problems Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later." post, so I apologize.

I have checked my Settings.php and repair_settings.php files to confirm that my database credentials are the same as the phpMyAdmin settings. So it's not that... unless I'm missing something? Some other solutions were checked, but I'm also at a loss there. Could relate to this? It's still happening, sadly. Honestly, I'm up to trying anything at this point. :(

For some context that may or not be needed beforehand... Recently my host, MDDHosting, went down for 72 straight hours (mine was 24hrs) and ultimately ALMOST lost all information from their servers due to an admin who did the wrong command. They ultimately had to restore from the last possible point on their backup servers and migrate servers I believe(?). With that said, perhaps I am not the only experiencing this if we have the same host. Once the sites came back up, this started occurring (no newly installed modifications and whatnot were added during that time). Personally, when my site goes down with this error it only lasts two minutes or so. This was back in September. Personally, I am not actively seeking a new host but am open to new options if it's really needed.

Thank you for the help in advance.

GigaWatt

Could be something misconfigured after the migration... or maybe just everyone recovering from the crash put a lot of strain on the servers (people tend to remember to make backups when everything fails, not beforehand ::), so basically, that means that everyone is trying to backup their data, including databases, as soon as everything was online).

How often are you receiving those emails? 10, 20, 100 times a day?

I'd suggest making regular daily backups (locally, on your computer) of the database and see if the problem disappears after a while (after everyone backed up, when it's just a regular working day for the servers).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

gkawa

If your hosting was migrated to another server, the server address may have changed. Most likely, it did. So, the address in your configuration is different. Check the address in your cPanel and PHPmyadmin and compare to the one you're using in SMF. I'm sure they don't match.

You don't noticed it because when you open PHPmyadmin from your cPanel, it opens with the server address included in the URL.

StarredSkies

Didn't realize there was an email option for that! Made sure to enable that. Thank you. <3 Will make sure to do backups when I can, especially since the host itself didn't do it as often.

I attempted to change 'localhost' from the myPHPadmin given server address to reroute the problem. So far, things seem to be going well. I'll give it a few days though.

Despite that, the port and host_name variables don't match what is given in the URL like you mentioned.

Advertisement: